Jambands.ca

funny link (probably)

questcequecest?

I linked to an article above about the publishing company that're getting their lawyers after the guys who did the Bush/Kerry animation, using the melody from "This Land Is My Land" by Woody Guthrie

just came across Arlo Guthrie's thoughts on the matter

Q. Your father was a political musician. What do you think he would have said about people using his music for political purposes?

A. Well, I really can't speak for him. I can just tell you that when I saw it a few weeks ago I thought it was one of the funniest commentaries if not one of the most directly inspired... I called my sister, I called my friends, I sent everybody a link to the site so that they could go see it. And we've all been laughing about it since then. I think my dad would have absolutely loved the humor in it.

Q. What else does your family have to say about it? Do you have any influence with the Richmond company?

A. Well, we probably do, but on the other hand, they don't call me for legal advice and I don't ask them for moral advice. It's a business operation. I think the thing that has concerned them, if what I've read is true, is that the parody doesn't overcome the song. There is this old song, "On Top of Old Smokey," that was a hit back in the fifties. No one remembers that anymore, we all remember "On Top of Spaghetti." I don't think that is a problem with this song because in three months it will be a moot point. It will have lost the humor and not be around forever. So, I don't see what the major complaint would be.