Jambands.ca

Roll Call: GTB at Babylon Tonight

bradm

Awesome, as is usual for GTB. It was one long set (2h20, IIRC, including the encore), and featured a bunch of new songs (all of which were good enough, IMHO, to be [or have been] on the album), along with old favourites and that wall-of-sound apocalyptic-anime-soundtrack jamming.

It was also a very good turnout; with the late announcement, and Wednesday night slot, I expected mostly hardcore regulars, but there were loads of people I didn't recognize, and the dance floor had a good population right from the git-go.

You shoulda been der.

Aloha,

Brad

If you weren't there, you missed a really great show.

I always enjoy GTB and last night was no exception. From the first note to the last I was in the dance trance. There are two things that always initially catch me off guard with GTB (aside from them being the best looking band in the scene IMO). One is all the time changes. They are pulled out very frequently and always with exactness. There's no mistaking a GTB song, these frequent time changes are their signature sound. The other thing that always takes me a moment to get used to is the absence of wailing guitar solos. I see two guitars on that stage and am waiting for one to break free of the groove and start singing. It rarely happens with GTB but this is not a complaint at all. GTB's groove is tight and polished. All the members play together so well and add complimenting layers to their well written songs. The vocals are always executed with precision and the energy is always high. I LOVE THE BUS!!!!

It was so good to see such a full room and wonderful to see Greg Hemmings again. BTW Greg, the secret is out! You and Bouche pulled one over on me and I can't thank you enough for the surprise. You should have seen my smile!!! [big Grin]

Archived