Jambands.ca

Richard Thompson in Toronto!

hamilton

dude...richie is sick....

the show has already sold out [Frown]

I've seen him a few times now and he is one of the greatest guitar players around.

any live recording you can get is worth it - I just recently grabbed a 93' Chapel Hill show that is killer!

there is a waiting list for cancellations for the hugh' s room show.

Hmmmm.. I was just beginning to think about checking that show out but I guess that won't be happening. I saw RT back in, like, 1991 or so at the old Diamond Club in T.O. (what happened to that place?) and again at The Phoenix a few years later. And if you have never heard Richard Thompson, well.... you're missing one of the most talented and unique guitar players in the world, not to mention a songwriter on the level of Elvis Costello, Neil Young, and such ilk.

Want a starting point for Richard Thompson? Try:

- "I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight" (1973)

- "Guitar & Vocals" (c. 1977)

- "Shoot Out The Lights" (1980)

or

"Rumour & Sigh" (1988??)

all classic albums. Also, his groundbreaking work with the classic, early Fairport Convention is well worth investigating. From them try, "Unhalfbricking", "Liege & Lief" or "Full House". The live album "House Full" is full of top-notch playing too.

An under-rated artist, but those who know, know. [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by MarcO:

I saw RT back in, like, 1991 or so at the old Diamond Club in T.O. (what happened to that place?) and again at The Phoenix a few years later.

Didn't the Diamond close down and then re-open as the Phoenix?

Aloha,

Brad

Richard Thompson never disappoints live. I've seen him at the Phoenix twice now, supporting each of his last two studio albums. As MarcO said, "Not many people know, but those who know, know."

There's a new studio album coming out in May too, BTW. [big Grin]

Brian.

Archived