Jambands.ca

Burt Neilson in Ottawa

Booche

tAlright,

Burt rocks.

Plain and simple. Heck, they could have played Simple tonight, and slayed it. We are talking about a new Band here. Yes, the Band. Well crafted tunes mixed with intermittent episodes of improvisations. Let me tell you, those moments were very thick. Opening with 'By The Door' those them there boys showed us that the irony of calling Mike a 'Flip-a-switch' was ironic. His tone was so pure tonight. Heck, I don’t write for Guitar World, and I don’t write for no one, but that was clean. 'Last and Lonely' was solo-ly crafted in a call and answer way, but you had to listen to the answer and the call.

By the third song, it was obvious Zaphod's was going to experience new songs.

'Holes' opened up where the mellow mood funk began. I was very impressed with Mr. Bass at this point, which would not subside for the evening. Jeff proved his mastery of that clavinet sound we all so cherry-ish. His brilliance was on display, and I love that the Burt boys feel his space. It really does make the band in the long run, because they all *get* each other when that space is filled. Lest we forget that pulverizing bass.

As a guess, 'L' was up next (seriously, we all got lost, including Mary). Jam of the night. I know I didn’t make it to the Dekcuf for Stephen Franke, but I dare them to pull that shite off. It was a complete soundscape breakdown without losing the *one* Gimme a BnB excavation over any band, I will take it and ask for no more. That was magical tonight.

A couple of new songs emerged, both being Burt. Short, but possibly open. Who knows? I almost rushed the stage when those prankster-like mother fu©cker said "Yeah, that was called.........."

'In The Belly' proved that we are talking about an all-Canadian band here. I mean solid Stompin' Tom mixed with The Hip jamming with rockin' Ronnie Hawkins. 'These Days' had Jeff feeling randy, which no one would have felt unhorny with bringing Stop 28 out. It was another example of Burt's direction to Burt. The funk songs aren’t as funky as they were, yet they are now songs, if that makes sense. Simply put, we are talking about better.

At this point, the crowd was feeling the 'Colds or the Morning Sun, or the Cold, or the Morning Cold', or a bit of both. Heck, call it what you will, but I coughed up a loogie once 'Have A Cigar' started. I mean, let's get serious here. This was mean and obviously Mike's guitar had the PERFECT tone for it. One thing is easily understandable, this band can cover anything they want to, that you love.

Fingerly picking 'Let Down', Burt brought it home during the encore like no band can. 'Down With The Sound' made it real, yo.....................it was pummeling.

(Sorry, I gots lazy)

Actually, my favorite part of the night happened as I drunkenly staggered around the bar, belligerently yelling out "Bring out yer dead"

some 19 yearish old dudes were walking by me, exclaiming "yo man, these guys are fu©king GREAT!"

Booche

Flip ah Switch: I guess it's just starting up.

Thanks for the review Booche.

My prediction ... if BNB keeps it together, keeps playing with energy and heart, keeps introducing new material, and continues to balance their ability to jam with excellent songs, they are going to break on through to the other side in a big way.

I can honestly see this band playing to much larger audiences in a few years.

My two cents on the matter ...

Peace, Mark

Yeah, they rocked us. I dont want to understate how much I love the fact they continue to write new songs, which is one of the strongest aspects of BNB. Obviously, the harmonies were bang-on, and I was VERY impressed with the solid presence the bass player has to offer now. My only complaint is that we saw them at Zaphods, which meant they had to be off stage around 11pm. It really felt like they were warmed up, and ready to slay the wooks.

Dont fu©king miss them.

"I was shocked at the representation by the board."

It seems like a heck of a lot was going on in Ottawa last night ... people had to make choices ... Stephen Franke & Noises From The Toolshed are an excellent band as well, one that perhaps many people haven't yet seen ... plus from what I read the other bands on that bill were really solid as well.

Glad to read that Burt was in spectacular form, thanks for sharing your enthusiasm for them, and I'm looking forward to their show on Friday!

Peace, Mark

It's really fun to late night party, but there are times when I wish that shows started and ended earlier. It definitely requires a mind-shift, but I'd love to be able to go out occasionally during the week or on the weekend and actually get some sleep that same night.

It could be a tough sell though, as people are very used to the late start and late finish.

Peace, Mark

It's really fun to late night party, but there are times when I wish that shows started and ended earlier. It definitely requires a mind-shift, but I'd love to be able to go out occasionally during the week or on the weekend and actually get some sleep that same night.

It could be a tough sell though, as people are very used to the late start and late finish. Peace, Mark

you know, I kinda miss the days of 1am bar closings. Remember that??

(I'm sure paisley has just fallen out of his chair reading that....... ;))