Jambands.ca

Cotton Candy

Jared

Hmmmmmmmmm.

It's unclear who was the first person to invent cotton candy. A few people have all been named as the inventors of the candy.

Wharton and Morrison received a patent for the cotton candy machine in 1899. They created the first electric cotton candy machine to melt and spin sugar through tiny holes using centrifugal force.

How is it made

Cotton candy is very simple to make. First sugar is melted into a liquid state and then spun it in the cotton candy machine. The machine forces the liquid through tiny holes that shape and cool the liquid sugar. After it cools, the sugar becomes a solid again. The center of the machine is filled with thousands of tiny threads that are collected and served on a stick.

Also:

- America celebrates National Cotton Candy Day on December 7th

- Cotton candy was originally called fairy floss

In 1920 fairy floss was re-named cotton candy

- Cotton candy was originally called fairy floss

In 1920 fairy floss was re-named cotton candy

So Boo yaaaa!!!!

In 2001, I was in Paris, and late in my trip, I took a walk to the Eiffel tower. Underneath it were various concession stands. One of them made me stop dead in my tracks.

It was a cotton candy stand, but its name brought crazy visions back from the days when I watched TVO as a child. The name of the stand was "Barbe a Papa".

Huh? Barbapapas? A friend later translated the name of the stand as "Father's Beard", which I guess makes sense if your father has a pink beard. What I think happened is that the Barbapapas were created as these amorphous pink blobs, and they needed a name for them, and they looked sort of like cotton candy, so the creator just named them after the name everybody in France uses to refer to cotton candy...

Clickety-click,

Brad

Barbapapas was the one cartoon I couldn't watch as a kid. I don't know why, but they always kind of scared me a little bit.

Cotton candy is good, though - I always used to get some when I went to the Binbrook Fall Fair every year (and the Ancaster Fall Fair, and the Rockton Fall Fair, and...) when I was young.