Jambands.ca

GBV/Modest Mouse on Austin City Limits this Friday

Palms

For those of you that get WNED Channel 17 Buffalo, the episode of Austin City Limits with Modest mouse and Guided by Voices airs this Friday at midnight.

I know some have mentioned that Brock from MM's voice doesn't sound good live on the show. I can only imagine what they thought of GBV's Robert Pollard. GBV treated the taping like a real show and drank and smoked and played an entire 90 minute set, which was then edited down to 30 minutes by PBS. Apparently Pollard is hammered by the end and is almost incoherent for the last two songs. Sounds like a good time - I can't wait!

That was your first time hearing Modest Mouse? I thought Roller would have played you some by now... They really are pretty good, huh? You should check out Ugly Casanova, Isaac Brock's side project... They are a much better band in my opinion.

Guest Low Roller

You think I get a chance to play Booche anything at all when I go over to his place? It's nothing but the Dead and Phish ALL THE TIME. I find it ironic that we complain about the uniformity of Clear Channel when the Spiritual Leader of the Ottawa Jam Scene (Patent Pending), Booche himself, is predictable and unyeilding of the remote.

It's still better than the Slip though. ::

Guest Low Roller

I gave Guided By Voices a chance, but they just didn't do it for me. I have one of their CDs (courtesy of D to the O), and I can listen to that if I'm really in the mood, but seeing them live did absolutely nothing for me. They've been around 20 years?? Coulda fooled me.

Yup, I agree. My initial impression of GBV was they were a band we could really get into. I've heard a couple of shows and no sir, I don't like it.

Speaking of predictable, how about LR getting in a dig on The Slip? Didn't see that coming did ya?? ;)

GBV is Robert Pollard. He put out the first album as Guided By Voices in 1986.

The last line-up was only together about a year, with a newly added bassist and a drummer that joined the year before.

GBV, especially their on their best albums - Bee Thousand, Alien Lanes, Propeller - take the best parts of classic rock like the Who, Beatles and Stones and compress them into lo-fi masterpieces. Whimsical, precise poppy songs that never go on too long and leave you wanting more.

Live, GBV is more rock. The band is notorious for its on-stage debauchery. The cooler full of beer makes it on before they do, but they don't leave till its all gone. But you have to be there at a show to experience it, listening to a show afterwards doesn't parlay the experience. You can't sit back and marvel over the marbellous musicianship, that's not what it's all about. It's about the song, the pop hook, the here and now. Sorry you don't like it, that's too bad, but you'll never know what you're missing.

Dude, next time GBV comes anywhere near Ottawa I'm all over it... I think they're fantastic, in a Broken Social Scene, but not really, kind of way... I like them, glad I checked them out, can't wait to see them live... (You HAVE to love a band that gets drunker than the audience during a show...)