Jambands.ca

autistic savant explains...

paisley

what its like to be an autistic savant

interesting

Since his epileptic fit, he has been able to see numbers as shapes, colours and textures. The number two, for instance, is a motion, and five is a clap of thunder. "When I multiply numbers together, I see two shapes. The image starts to change and evolve, and a third shape emerges. That's the answer. It's mental imagery. It's like maths without having to think."

"It isn't only an intellectual or aloof thing that I do. I really feel that there is an emotional attachment, a caring for numbers. I think this is a human thing - in the same way that a poet humanises a river or a tree through metaphor, my world gives me a sense of numbers as personal. It sounds silly, but numbers are my friends."

Totally intriguing. Reminds me of Oliver Sacks' book "An Anthropologist on Mars" - so much to be gained from just working with what's given. There's an interesting chapter in that book (kinda tragic, actually) is the guy who developed a brain cyst around 1970, which entailed all his long-term memories coming to an end roughly with the last Dead show he ever saw - he could rhyme off lyrics, describe the mood of each of the guys in the band, everything, but would be at a total loss if you asked him what he'd had for lunch the day before. He ended up being roped into a new age outfit who treated him as if he'd achieved enlightenment, when in fact he had few options besides being totally blissed out (never hurts, I suppose, if you're completely unable to hold on to grudges and so on). He might have even been able to partially recover, had they not refused his family access for the longest time.

What weird brains (and cultures) we have.