Jambands.ca

Thoughts Please

SevenSeasJim

that's a good point, your cynical view is definitely warranted.

Personally, I am eternally optimistic that each and every vote does make a difference, and if you don't keep informed, or making some sort of noise, then nothing will get done. For example, I don't think the past budget would have included "Kyoto" if the Conservatives had been in power for the past 8 years. But, that's just an opinion.

i would say stay as informed as possible. knowledge is power.

if you feel anger or resentment towards the things you learn, take note that your awareness of the situation is only a positive thing. Endeavour to do something about everything that angers you, from writing a quick letter to your MP, or to talking about it to someone who will care.

It's sitting on that anger and letting is fester that's turning your media loving heart black.

Action breeds reaction. Just knowing about something makes a difference I think. Learning something from the horrible situations we're faced with in the world today is a positive change. There is always a silver lining, even if it's as simple and sad as knowing better for next time.

Don't give up...but by all means, if your head is about to implode with frustration, step away from the newspaper/tv/computer screen and take a deep breath, sip your beverage of choice, inhale a drag of your smokeable of choice and give it a minute or two.

it's clear that canadians aren't backwards minded enough to actually elect a conservative government with out neigbours to the south reminding us that outdated ideals aren't any good for anybody. the only way we vote conservatively is through serious bribes...tax cuts and curbed spending.

Canadians tend to understand environmental concerns fairly well.

now if only a political party could promise tax breaks for energy conscious and health conscious people...no tax on energy saving everything from cars to lightbulbs, no tax on good food and nutritional supplements and the ability to write off a certain amount of helthy lifestyle based expenses...what'd be wrong with allowing people to write off the park fees for 2 camping trips to national parks or one canoe per person?

if people could 'afford' healthier living there'd be less strain on our healthcare system (preventative) and we'd all feel smarter and stronger (the ones that took the initiative anyway)...

sure there are flaws with my idea but if elected politicians were to write it up it'd be done right and i'm sure people would appreciate the chance to afford going camping more often and eating healthier food...just an example...

more serious concerns...taxes, education, defence, environment, the economy and big business...good to deal with but most stories have a specific political spin and focus more on the politician than the issue itself and I think that if the media were to strip the particulars of who said this and who did that then the average ignorant citizen would understand the issue and not just the gossip.

it's really an issue of spin for me. will the news explain WHY it's important to worry about the sponsorship scandal? other than taxes and political corruption?

and to be honest, when the tsunami hit that's all i heard about for weeks. i'm sure there was other important news that could've been brought to light. i stopped caring shortly thereafter. I'd rather read a book.