Jambands.ca

For the Lucky People Going to Cuba

Ms.Huxtable

Hey. thanks Huxy for looking after us. I have been keeping a close eye on this and looking at some travel forums. Apparently this may have spun through the american media machine a little.

Here is link to the actual resolution and a exerpt from another board

Well, my two cents worth...

I have just received a reply by email, from my friend in Holguin, who works in the Tourism Dept, but not at a resort.

In a nutshell.....He says that the new regs are being "re"put into place basically to stop those dealing with foreign companies and those who must travel abroad, and host those from away, and from "becoming used" to "non-communist" ways and means...

Apparently, what was happening, was they were being 'wined and dined', in the manner which we are accustomed to entertaining, and many were complaining about how they were treated at "home" and then looking for "foreign" aid in getting out of Cuba... either by sponsorship or by personal means...and some even claiming refugee status....

The section on gifts was put in there to stop some individuals from receiving "expensive" gifts. Not the little ones we give the maids everyday....

So, in response, the gov has determined that they may not attend these foreign banquets, or go to private functions, nor place themselves in a situation where they may have reason or opportunity to wheedle their way out.

He told me that I wasn't to worry. The resorts would all remain the same, and the Cubans still all very much look forward to opening their "arms" and their country to us tourists.

He is very concerned that the spin put on it by the US media, will have adverse effects on the tourism sector.

Cheers. :D

Scared to fly though...HELP ME!

so hung-over you wish you were dead anyways might ease the fear ;)

or just eat something relaxing... my friends used to eat oil capsules before flying to europe... couple of percs/valiums would probably do the trick (wonder if they give them out on the plane if you look freaked out enough? they used to give people opium back in the 40s and 50s)

Scared to fly though...HELP ME!

Bach's Rescue Remedy spray is great for anxiety and fear. You should be able to find it in any health food store. It comes in a yellow box and is around $13.

Melatonin (3mg) really helps if you get jetlag too. Gooooood night!

However, the old valium/white wine combo has never failed me. Limit the wine though. I made the mistake of getting drunk on a plane once. It was the most miserable 14 hours of my life. I actually turned [color:"green"]green. :(