Jambands.ca

Here's some greeeeaaaattttt news

SevenSeasJim

Bush nominates Wolfowitz as head of World Bank

WASHINGTON - U.S. President George W. Bush put forward deputy secretary of defence Paul Wolfowitz as his nominee to be the next president of the World Bank.

Wolfowitz, 61, has been second-in-command behind Donald Rumsfeld at the U.S. Defence Department since 2001. A main proponent of the war in Iraq, Wolfowitz has been a main point of criticism among opponents of the conflict.

Story

And some more good news.... ::

U.S. Senate OKs Alaska wildlife refuge drilling

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Senate gave President George W. Bush a major energy policy victory on Wednesday by voting to allow oil drilling in the Alaska wildlife refuge.

* RELATED: The World Over a Barrel

By a vote of 51-49, senators rejected a motion by Democratic and moderate Republicans to remove a refuge drilling provision from next year's budget.

If Congress agrees on a budget, Wednesday's action could clear the way for drilling to be approved this year.

The oil industry has been trying for more than 20 years to get permission to drill for what are thought to be huge reserves of oil beneath the coastal plain in the northeastern corner of Alaska. Supporters of the drilling suggest the refuge could supply as much as 1 million barrels a day at peak production.

But environmentalists fear that pipelines and drilling platforms in the ecologically rich area would harm calving caribou, polar bears and millions of migratory birds.

It is "foolish to say oil development and a wildlife refuge can co-exist," said Senator Maria Cantwell, a Democrat.

Democratic Senator John Kerry argued that more oil would be saved under an energy policy focusing on conservation and increased reliance on renewable fuels.

Those in favour of drilling countered that modern technology can safeguard the refuge.

"Some people say we ought to conserve more," said Republican Senator Pete Domenici. "But we need to do everything. We have to conserve and produce where we can."

The last time the Senate debated drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge, two years ago, the attempt to include it in the budget was defeated. Since then, the Republicans picked up three more seats, all supporters of the drilling.

okaay, this is nuts.

wolfowitz is a nasty man.

that comb thing in f-911 was just disgusting.

i guess it could have been worse, they could have nominated satan to head the world bank. i hear he was asked, but said he'd rather continue his work behind the scenes on the board of directors of the IMF.

fack me, what a day. arctic oil and mr brylcreem in charge of the world bank.

*sigh*....

:(...

that sucks.

did anyone happen to read time magazine last week? there was this article basically crediting bush for bringing the first steps of democracy and freedom to the middle east, iraq, and pretty much the world. it was an interesting read, to kind of remind you how the "general public" get dizzy from political spin.

remember resist the anti-wonderfullists,

spencer

i was at the doctor's this week (cold) and read the newest time magazine. i'm astounded at how much it reads like a PR brochure for the US government's foreign policy. i mean really, how much more toadying can they be? is time edited by waylon smithers?

"that was a gutsy move, sir."