Jambands.ca

Sir Stephen Harpsalot

bouche

am I just too optimistic?

Yes. Most voters are at best only half-aware of what's going on, but it's their only shot at power, such as it is, and they like to be vindictive, and vote that way like it's going to solve something rather than make things worse, which is what happens, which makes them more vindictive, etc. etc. And then whatever pissed them off in the first place goes down the memory hole.

But then, optimism's the first line of defence against all that, so good on ya.

Last election, I kept a big piece of paper taped to our front door (our place is right beside a bus stop, so I considered it a kind of civic duty):

Vote NDP, and the government will take your money and give it to the poor.

Vote Conservative, and the government will take your money and give it to the rich.

Vote Liberal, the government will take your money, and no one will have a clue what happened to it.

I'm glad at least that we're in a pretty consistent NDP riding; I haven't yet had to vote strategically.

Back in university (ca. 1988-1989), a couple of buddies and I ran for Queen's student government. We initially were going to be a joke candidate, inspired by the Rhinos, but ended up becoming more of a "protest the status quo" kind of candidate.

In one of the interviews with the main campus paper, our presidential candidate was asked, "What are you guys going to do if you actually win?"

"Ask for a recount," was his immediate reply...

Aloha,

Brad

There was a guy who ran for President of Student Council at my high school. His main promise, if elected, was to "move the school 3 feet to the left".

(I am not sure if the "left" referred to looking toward or away from the school. He didn't win, so I never did get to find out.)

Not that I'm for the Conservatives or anything, but the Liberals have to pay for what happened. If there's an election and the Liberals end up winning, what kind of message does that send? It says "It's ok to fu©k us over...". I don't care if Martin was involved or not, he is the head of the party and should sink with the rest of the ship...

Well, fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion, but that is bit of wide brush to paint all Liberals as guilty for the actions of a small small group of people lining their pockets. I mean, of all the people they "f*cked over", I'd say other Liberals are at the top of the list.

And arguably the price was already paid in the last election, when the Liberals barely held power and won a minority, this was a huge issue in the last election (remember the commercials with the money going in the dumpster?)

Martin didn't like Chretien's style of politics, and thus led the effort to bring down a sitting Prime Minister, the first time in history that has happened. They were bitter rivals, the last place Chretien would let his biggest rival have a hand in would be in Quebec strategy, he was not invovled.

Also, the actions Martin has taken in response to this mess are unprecedented, the old Chretien style would've been to cover it up, instead (and you can find the list of the action he's taken) he decides to make it all public, completely blow the lid off the thing (the actions of a guilty man?) So I would argue, that by booting the Martin Liberals out of office, the actual message is, "opt for openness and transparency - and pay the price", you can guarantee if the Martin Liberals lose, it will be the last time a Prime Minister opts to go the open route/public inquiry, etc. etc. route again, IMO.

Obviously everyone knows my situation here, I'll be in Vancouver for the election, hey Stn. Mtn, wanna do some canvassing, see me brow-beat some bigots?