Jambands.ca

Amusing Slowcoaster article

Davey Boy 2.0

.. from the Halifax Chronic-le Herald:

Talking to Cape Breton fun fusion band Slowcoaster at the very un-rock and roll hour of 11 a.m. on a Saturday at Halifax's Westin Hotel, it's apparent that three of its four members are wearing the effects of late-night partying with the Young Liberals the night before.

"My constant search for surrealism paid off big time last night," laughs guitarist/vocalist Steven MacDougall in the Westin's bar, abuzz with activity in the middle of the recent Liberal gathering.

Joined by bearded bassist Mike LeLievre and percussionist Darren Gallop - drummer Devon Strang is AWOL - MacDougall and his bandmates don't mind the early hour much. It gives them a rare chance to see Halifax by daylight. They're also keen to talk about their appearance this week on the last leg of the Music Industry Association of Nova Scotia's Bringin' It Home tour, which takes the province's top acts to all corners of the region.

Last year, Slowcoaster had the good fortune to join the Bringin' It Home tour for shows in Lunenburg, Amherst and New Glasgow, paired with classical pianist Peter Allen. This year the group joins singer-songwriter Steven Bowers at Oxford's Capital Theatre tonight, the Evergreen Theatre in Margaretsville on Friday and Horton High School in Wolfville on Saturday.

"It's a great chance to get out and visit all the smaller towns and play their nice theatres," says LeLievre.

"We like bringing music to people who don't usually get music brought to them, which is nice," adds Gallop.

Slowcoaster is one of Nova Scotia's hardest working bands, playing virtually every week, while its current CD, the aptly titled Where Are They Going?, remains a fixture on the East Coast Countdown, with the good time anthem Patio staying in the top five for a number of weeks.

The band's mix of rock, pop, reggae and funk guarantees an evening of fun, while also ensuring you won't hear anything else like it around. As a result, Slowcoaster's services are always in demand in clubs around the Maritimes and beyond, but this weekend's shows provide a rare opportunity.

"I find the Bringin' It Home Tour is like a working vacation," says MacDougall. "You don't have to play for a bunch of drunk weirdos when you're playing the theatres.

"But the shows can still be unpredictible. I have a vague recollection of inviting people up onto the stage to dance at the Amherst show last year."

"Was that the one where there was a big crowd of high school kids?" asks Gallop. "Yeah!" confirms the frontman enthusiastically.

But while Slowcoaster often gets credit for its groove generating skills and ability to whip crowds into a body moving frenzy, Bringin' It Home allows the quartet to approach the songs on the CD a little differently. In a soft seater, the focus is more on the composition than a seamless set with extended jams.

"When we play a theatre, we get to take a little more time with our set," says MacDougall. "We grew up in Cape Breton around that culture where everybody was a songwriter, and it's fun at the top of a song to say 'I wrote this song when I was doing whatever . . . say, sitting in the bar at the Westin.'

"Take a guy like (New York bluesman and frequent N.S. visitor) Guy Davis. It's really captivating when you go to see someone like that in an intimate venue, and if you can capture even 10 per cent of that kind of vibe . . . but that's what a theatre is built for, for entertaining on a level where you're really communicating with the audience."

Slowcoaster got to communicate with a whole new audience when it played the Stan Rogers Folk Festival in Canso last summer. Obviously they were on the bill to shake things up a bit and attract a broader, younger demographic, although one wonders how they fit into the mellower vibe of the esteemed traditional and contemporary folk event.

"Sideways," laughs MacDougall. "We did one workshop with Ron Sexsmith and Joel Plaskett and it was called 'A Harder Edge' and those guys are singing on acoustic guitars. Hard edge? What the hell?

"But it was great, because at some point I turned around when we were playing, they were jamming and playing leads. I just thought, 'Only here at Stanfest . . .' "

"I just remember wearing a parka for three days, with my pockets stuffed with cans of Coors Light," chuckles LeLievre.

"I can't believe I wore a parka for three days in July . . . "

At this point, MacDougall leans in close to the digital recorder's condenser mic. "Is there anyone out there? Any intelligent life? Please. Help us."

The best help you could offer is to drop by one of Slowcoaster's Bringin' It Home shows, with Steven Bowers, and show your support.

I listened to one of their shows and I can't figure out who would want to pay money to see these guys play. Even if the show was free, you would never get those 2 hours back. They sound like guys who just met each other on the street and decided to form a band even though none of them play any instruments. In fact, when they play, it sounds like they're trying to figure out how to play their instruments.

Edited by Guest

Weird... I think SlowCoaster is one of the best CanJam bands around right now... Other than BNB, they're about the only CanJam band I would travel to see... I'd rather see them than GTB, JSB, Blue Quarter, etc. I think they mix it up nicely, and I would go so far as to say Mike Lelievre (sp?) is pretty much a monster on the bass... Oh well, to each their own. I know they caused quite a stir the last time they played here in Ottawa... I currently consider them to be in my top 3 favorite bands at the moment... All I can suggest is try giving a different show a shot. They owned me within about two songs of first hearing them...

First off, to be fair I haven't seen them live. Having said that, I listened to most of the show I downloaded and simply wasn't impressed. They sound incredibly unfocused in terms of what and how they play. I didn't find any of the musicians particularly inspiring at their instruments and I also found their collective playing sloppy. As far as Canjam bands go, I feel Grand Theft Bus are the best.

hey, deranger! it's nice to hear some nay-saying around here.

that's definitely one interesting direction you're going with that explanation.

i've heard the line 'they have the most potential of any of the bands in the scene' a lot in the past while about those guys.

as for me, if i'm thinking 'these guys have a lot of potential' when i'm at a show then i'm not letting loose, i'm thinking 'these guys have a lot of potential'...then there's the inevitable '...but...'

i'm going to give them another chance. i have had a good time seeing those guys fairly recently and about a year ago. they're REALLY improved in that time.

i think it'll be ideal when they start living up to their potential.