Jambands.ca

JIMMY SWIFT BAND, Casbah :: WED MAY 11, Hamilton

whiteymuseum

The new drummer is pretty good pais... I caught JSB twice this past weekend, they really don't sound very different from the old JSB. I hope you guys get treated to a mini-set from S.O.S., I really, really dig the stuff they were doing...

I have to say, the musician in me is about 45% drummer, and I was not looking forward to the day when I'd have to decide whether this new guy could measure up to the last guy. Granted, I didn't even know Paul Christian's name until it was announced he was leaving, but I knew that anytime Jimmy Swift was in town I had to come see that drummer again. Something of a combination of the fact that he was doing so much with an average-sized kit, his damned quick wrists on the hats, and overall his impeccable timing.

From the onset, the new drummer is almost definately coming from a more 'rock' place than Christian, but he makes it work. By the fourth tune at the latest, I was completely convinced that they had chosen a worthy successor. I get a sort of progressive roots rock vibe from the new guy, like he's coming from a place between the Chad Smith camp and the first I Mother Earth record. It works well, looking forward to catching the band again next time they're through.

It was my first time booking JSB. The lads seemed extremely nice, particularly Craig was very friendly and outgoing. He told me the crowd size was about where most of their weekday Hamilton gigs have lied in numbers. I understand last time through the show on the weekend at PJC was off the hook at close to 200 peeps.

This Wednesday show was at 74.