Jambands.ca

I almost just walked into a bear.

StoneMtn

Next to my building is a small "vacant lot". It's not actually a vacant lot, though, as it's not really big enough for a house or anything. It's just extra property owned by my building that we don't use and don't properly maintain. Since we don't maintain it, it's completely overgrown and not used by anyone for anything.

I was just walking my dog past the "vacant lot", and the dog wanted to turn into it and run up a well-beaten path that ran right into the lot. As I followed my dog, I thought, "Hmmm, this well-beaten path wasn't here before. Oh, look at that large black object. Oh, it's furry, like a huge dog. Oh shit!!!"

As I realized that I was like a dozen feet from a black bear, and that the bear was looking at me like I'm nuts as I just continue to walk toward it, I pulled my dog's leash and ran like hell. The bear was looking at us, like it was thinking, "That's right. You keep running!"

holey!

stone mtn, where in whistler do you live relative to the "main street?" we walked around whistler when we were there and it seemed pretty, well, urban. i guess that once you're outside of town, you're in the mountains and in bear territory...that's gotta be somewhat unnerving....

Tim:

Believe it or not, bears cruise right through Whistler village. It looks urban, but it's still the mountains.

Our condo buildings are about a 3 minute drive from the village. We always have at least one bear family living on our property.

I actually grew more frightened of Cougars out there....the whole jumping out of trees thing really freaked me out!

I was going to make a joke about loving when I get jumped by cougars, but I can't find a picture of a suitable woman to match.

I'm sorry if this joke was in poor taste.

I was going to make a joke about loving when I get jumped by cougars, but I can't find a picture of a suitable woman to match.

Geez, you should have seen the last gig we played at the Lanc in KW with Rose Garland. Had a bus-full of 'em - literally! There was a bar-hopping busload of self-defined cougars on the prowl for the night that ended up at the show. Very interesting dynamic.

Maybe Harvard Mouse has a mission....

StoneMtn, glad you made it through ok. I'll assume you're familiar with Project Grizzly, and won't make any references to bear-proof suits or anything.

I have a cabin a little NE of Parry Sound. We had the pleasure of taking a trip to the local dump last time I was there. I heard rumours about bears at the dump but never seen them in person. We got there, there were 3 bears climbing around the garbage looking for treats. When you throw a bag of garbage they come running over and rip it apart to see what you are giving them. They were amazingly brazen, all three of them came within 15 feet of us. I got the feeling that if you didn't give the garbage a good toss quickly they'd come and help you get the stuff out of your car.

Not quite as scary as Stone Mtns story 'cause they appeared quit tame and I half expected to see them but still they were bears and they were big. They probably smelt pretty bad too but due to all the festering garbage that wasn't really an issue.

Hey Beats:

Since you're coming out here, I have a question. How fast do you run?

(They say you don't really have to outrun bears. You just have to outrun the people you are with when you encounter the bear and it starts chasing you...) ;)

I have a cabin a little NE of Parry Sound. We had the pleasure of taking a trip to the local dump last time I was there.

That wouldn't happen to be the Dunchurch mall would it? (hehehe)

Last summer I had a black bear run out about 20 feet in front of my bike on the Seguin trail. Thankfully it kept going.

So these two guys walk into a bear..

[color:purple]Were they with a priest, a rabbi, and a guy with a duck on his head?

Well, the way I heard it, it was a salami, not a duck...but it really doesn't make any difference to the outcome of the joke..the bear's Catholic either way...

:P

I have a cabin a little NE of Parry Sound. We had the pleasure of taking a trip to the local dump last time I was there.

Last summer I had a black bear run out about 20 feet in front of my bike on the Seguin trail. Thankfully it kept going.

In the same neck of the woods. We turn off Hwy 124 just before Waubamik (15Km W of Dunchurch) and head down the "Bunny Trail" for a 1/2 hour.

In the same neck of the woods. We turn off Hwy 124 just before Waubamik (15Km W of Dunchurch) and head down the "Bunny Trail" for a 1/2 hour.

Near Ardbeg then. The "Bunny Trail" is a beautiful drive in the fall.

as opposed to the winter when driuving the bunny trail will cure constipation :)

as opposed to the winter when driving the bunny trail will cure constipation :)

We're about half along the "Bunny Trail" between 124 and Ardbeg. Near where the Shawanaga river goes under the road in the "Unincorporated Township of Boakview".

Absolutely beautiful place to be in the fall though you gotta watch out for hunting season, I find my moose hat it not appropriate ;)