Jambands.ca

funny comet lawsuit

bouche

MOSCOW (AP) - NASA's mission that sent a space probe smashing into a comet raised more than cosmic dust - it also brought a lawsuit from a Russian astrologer.

Marina Bai has sued the U.S. space agency, claiming the Deep Impact probe that punched a crater into the comet Tempel 1 late Sunday "ruins the natural balance of forces in the universe," the newspaper Izvestia reported Tuesday. A Moscow court has postponed hearings on the case until late July, the paper said.

Scientists say the crash did not significantly alter the comet's orbit around the sun and said the experiment does not pose any danger to Earth.

The probe's comet crash sent up a cloud of debris that scientists hope to examine to learn how the solar system was formed.

Bai is seeking damages totaling $300 million - the approximate equivalent of the mission's cost - for her "moral sufferings," Izvestia said, citing her lawyer Alexander Molokhov. She earlier told the paper that the experiment would "deform her horoscope."

NASA representatives in Russia could not be reached for comment on the case.

I wanna act for the comet.

If I were NASA, I'd be tempted to hire another astrologer to show that any change that was made to the comet's orbit would actually be an improvement to her horoscope...then I'd sue her right back, claiming that, since it was to her benefit, she should pick up all (OK, maybe just part) of the cost of the mission...

Aloha,

Brad

You won't have any time, Tim.

I plan to have you selling grilled cheeses in the corridor outside the courtroom, to help offset legal costs.

(It's my understanding that comets don't have very much money to pay lawyers.)

...but astrologers might. have you considered a class action suit against NASA by all the world's astrologers? beats heady grilled cheese for a dallah :)