Jambands.ca

Sony busted for Payola

Deeps

Really? Wasn't it Sony that invented its own film reviewers a few years back? They were handing out "Two thumbs up" kind of accolades for every shitflick that they cranked out.

In a world without Payola we probably would never have heard of these guys (and musicians of that ilk). :P

nickelback.jpg

No surprise. Corporate radio is and has been a complete wasteland for a while now.

Although payola has always existed, there was a time when DJ's actually picked their own music and were quite knowledgeable about it.

I can recall years ago when I was in Kingston, On, there was a DJ on CKLC by the name of Garry Parr who each evening showcased, in its entirety, an album by an established or emerging artist, along with intelligent commentary. It was a great way to discover new music. For the life of me, though, I can't recall the name of the program. Any Kingston folk out there old enough to remember it?

I can recall years ago when I was in Kingston, On, there was a DJ on CKLC by the name of Garry Parr who each evening showcased, in its entirety, an album by an established or emerging artist, along with intelligent commentary. It was a great way to discover new music. For the life of me, though, I can't recall the name of the program. Any Kingston folk out there old enough to remember it?

CKLC had to have fired that DJ for such musical blasphemy. Playing an entire album of an emerging artist. Crazy shit. CKLC is the worst radio station I ever listened to before I moved to Toronto in 1991. Actually, Kington's CFLY-FM is worse, but at least it sticks to it's easy listening/soft rock format.

Edited by Guest

chuck (dark_starr) used to do the request night at Y108...i would call him up and ask for completely off the wall tunes...he told me about the corporate reality of programming tunes at a radio station, and reinforcd my less than complimentary view of marketing people. from what i gather, the tunes are picked from a list provided by the marketing company based on focus group and demographic studies. "Your main group of listeners are white males aged 18 to 29. White males aged 18 to 29 absolutely want to hear Free Bird."

Even for the reauest show, the tunes have to be on a list apprioved by the program director. if they are not, and the dj can get the programmer's permission, then there's a slim chance that they will get played. for regular programming, they have to stuick to the approved playlist. if the station log does not match the playlist, there's trouble.

They could make this easier by redefining "payola" to mean "the standard operating practice of the music industry."