Jambands.ca

Buddha Made a Man of Her

Dr_Evil_Mouse

A student gave me this the other night, from the National Review of Medicine; any med people out there know about this publication? I suspect it may not be a peer-reviewed journal.

AUG MYAY THAR YAR, MYANMAR - Twenty-one year old Thin Sandar recently prayed to Buddha, asking him if she could be a man in her next life. Her wish came true a little earlier than expected. At the end of June there was a full moon and Ms Sandar claims she suddenly noticed that she had grown a penis and that her breasts had disappeared. Born a girl, many villagers concede that Ms Sandar is a hermaphrodite. But physicians say that it still doesn't explain the sudden transformation. The health ministry, in the country formerly known as Burma, has gotten involved, sending experts to examine the woman-turned-man. Ms Sandar's proud father already has plans to send her to a monastery.

I think my favourite bit is the last line.

My favourite part is that she "prayed to Buddha"??? What kind of Buddhism espouses that? Didn't the Buddha say that people are NOT to pray to him and are to look within themselves for understanding?

Maybe it's a branch of Buddhism with which I'm unfamiliar, but it sounds ridiculous from a Buddhist perspective. (I have no idea who the National Review of Medicine is, though, so I can't help there.)

I didn't know that, and I found it surprising given the praying thing. But the answer is revealed! I learned two things today:

"Myanmar Buddhism is blended with elements of nat worship, a traditional religion from pre-Buddhist times. Nat worship is belief in spirits."

Siddhartha will still smite 'em, I'm sure.

[color:purple]Not a big fan of Natsi-ism.

;)

That's hilarious!

On a slightly other note, Mahayana is a real mixed bag though. Just look at Pure Land Buddhism - or even more so, the health-and-wealth Soka Gakkai folks. More gods to pray to there than jocks at a Tragically Hip show (who do I owe for that one?).

Ya, I know. Those Mahayanans are more into the teachings/writings of the Bikkhus, and even allow for the possibility that the Buddha himself (Siddhartha Gautama) may never have actually lived.

[color:purple]I blame GWB (oh, and Biggest Fan, SmoothedShredder, and Del). What do I blame them for? No idea. I just do.

Nicherin Soshu (sp?) Buddhism...Now there's another ballgame altogether.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Now, isn't that better?

Nichiren Shoshu - yup, there's an odd bird. Nichiren himself, I gather, was whacked, and one of the more notable influences on Japanese nationalism and militarism. I've heard enough commentators saying it brought forward the Lotus Sutra as one of the most genocidal texts in history. Plus, it also gives us the aforementioned Soka Gakkai, to boot.