Jambands.ca

Fans of Pop Music... Step Inside...

shainhouse

Well, this post only concerns fans of recently released pop music... newer bands. Anywho, I was wondering if anyone has been digging the following records as much as I have, or have any other bands of this 'genre' to recommend...

1. The Magic Numbers

- A 2 boy/2 girl brother/sister quartet from South London who are one the freshest bands I have heard in ages. Think contemporary Mama's and Papa's.

2. HAL

- two brothers and 2 friends from Dublin. Another spin on the early Beach Boys sound with a fantastic Falsetto vocalist and gorgeous harmonies. Edwyn Collins produced a track on their debut too, "Play the Hits."

3. The Shins

- If you haven't heard these Portland-based guys yet, then please go and buy either one of the their records. This is the best pop I've heard, personally, in years. It's always in my CD changer.

4. The Postal Service

- It's electro-pop from the Death Cab singer. Simply fantastic. "Such Great Heights" is such an incredibly romantic tune... pure emotion and simplicity.

5. Yellow Stripe Nine

- A band I discovered in Leeds. A four-piece who create a cabaret-style act on stage with fantastic pop akin to The Smiths or the Talking Heads. fantastic.

I'm enjoying new music lately!

Edited by Guest

Postal Cervix is my buddy. its Ben Gibbard and Jimmy Tamborello from Death Crabs and dntel respectively.

i love pretty much anything senor gibbard touches. especially his Split EP with Andrew Kenny(american analog set). very good stuff.

they do Flaming Lips' Suddenly Everything has Changed too. its alright but i'm glad its not on the album. :D

Check out Couches in Alleys by Styrofoam ft. Ben. and This is the Dream of Evan and Chan, which is the dntel album with Ben that led to the Give Up collaboration.

ping

The Shins are defintely one of my new favourites of the year, though I wouldn't have thought to call 'em POP. Then again, who cares eh? ;) They're awesome though. Kissing The Lipless kicks off Kev's Cuts Vol. #20!

As far as POP goes, the one good new one that comes to mind for me is The Ladies & Gentlemen. Shainhouse I know you're a bit familiar with them. How'd you hear about em? For those who don't know, the album (called "Small Sins") is really just Thomas D'Arcy, who used to be in a band I don't know called The Carnations. Its official release will be in September. I saw the band live in Peterborough in the Spring and was amazed by the energy and spark of such a new band. (I guess the lineup changes periodically). Anyhoo, they're awesome, they're from Toronto, and their live show kicks!

d_rawk turned me onto the shins, love that cd. unfortunately some bastid stole the damn thing out of my car last week... ah well.

i strayed from this kind of music for a long time, but getting back into it has been great. other stuff i've been introduced to recently which i am lovin:

spoon - gimme fiction

black keys

blonde redhead

arcade fire [surprise!]

decemberists

also - one of my favorite recent downloads: the track "nao identificado" by caetano veloso. tasty tune. music is fun.