Jambands.ca

Boys Names

h

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't come up with anything right now, but I'll tell you what you shouldn't name him.

My experience has always been that kids should never, ever be named after Tolkien characters. Either the parents are fully revealed to be highly unoriginal geeks or the kids come to terrible ends -- a life of crime or a destiny of ridicule. (I was relatively lucky; one of my middle names is shared with a LotR character who is too obscure for anyone but the most avid fan to remember, and it's an old Germanic name that has been in the family since the 1880s.)

Music references should be handled carefully. Problematic 'W' names would obviously be Wilson... or Weekapaug.

Woodrow could be cool. I don't recommend Woodstock or Woody.

Personally, I like Steve, too.

I can't believe the response on this thread. Fun.

Velvet - you seriously have no middle name? How very odd.

i think monkey is just throwing out teenage mutant ninja turtle names ;)

Just as a general side note: I read somewhere that studies show that naming your child with a strange spelling of a regular name puts them at a disadvantage later in life. Meaning when an employer looks at Trisha spelled Tryshia they end up thinking you are of lower intelligence.

I liked Jackson or Jack but doug is totally against it - says it reminds him of michael jackson.

Ah yes, Jesse with an E ofcourse - but ya, they already call Jessica Jessie and she was only born in Feb -so xmas would get very confusing with the two Jess cousins. Too bad cuz i do like that.

I do like Owen - I'll make a wee list of those on here. Its always good to get some varied opinions. :)

Edited by Guest

Just as a general side note: I read somewhere that studies show that naming your child with a strange spelling of a regular name puts them at a disadvantage later in life. Meaning when an employer looks at Trisha spelled Tryshia they end up thinking you are of lower intelligence.

I take offense to this. My name does not have any strange spelling (Kevin), but I am still of lower intelligence.

I'll vouche for that! :P

I know what you mean with the spelling h. Funky spelled names just don't look as uhhh, professional. *shrug*

"Kaidy Mae" is fine for this kind of nonsense. But with my business and when applying for jobs it's always K.M. :) I think it's good to have a fun sounding nickname and a more formal full name or a funky first name and traditional middle name. At least give the little guy a fighting chance.

Edited by Guest
I forgot these: " "

I have to briefly interrupt this thread to tell about the worst name choice I have ever come across (I've told lots of people this story already).

I'll make it short; with a last name of Cox, you would think that the red flag would be up to be careful, right??

Wrong...could there anything worse than Isaac?

Just remember that the people doing the hiring 20 years down the road will have named their kids these names as well. :wink:

In Quebec, George Foreman would be considered mundane.

It's common for people here to use their middle names, and they often have two of them. Why? Because half the bloody province names their kids "Joseph" and "Marie," in deference to the Catholic church. It's understood that these names will not be used except for official purposes.

Mercenary's joke is that that's how you get the attention of a crowd in Montreal--just yell "Joseph! Marie!" It's like screaming "Raven! Morgan!" at a pagan gathering.

thanks arcane - congrats back atcha.

should this boy turn out to be a girl she will be Violet.

I like Charlotte too but then i'd call her Charlie. :)

if you go for Violet though, be prepared for a lot of wrinkled noses. I'm telling ya though, its trendsetting.