Jambands.ca

noise-cancelling tech

bouche

We've got a pair of headphones at home now that are freaking me out. I didn't realize that this is what 'noise cancelling' meant.

Acoustic Noise Cancelling® Headphone Technology

Standard headphones are designed only to deliver audio and not intended for use in loud environments. They do little to fade background distractions.

The patented Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphone technology in Bose® QuietComfort® 2 headphones provides full-spectrum noise reduction for a better audio experience. Microphones in the earcups actively monitor what you hear, including unwanted outside sound. The difference between the unwanted sound and the desired sound is then electronically processed, creating a correction signal that acts to negate the unwanted noise. The speaker within each earcup is then fed the correction signal. This signal, combined with the passive noise reduction of the headset itself, dramatically reduces the outside noise that reaches your ears.

for the audiophiles:

Which set of headphones would you say has the better overall sound quality and value?

Bose QuietComfort 2

or

Sony MDRV600

This is pretty cool trickle down technology that started with Cadillacs and other higher-end cars - they basically mic the outside/engine noise of the car, invert/filter it, then mix it in with the stereo sound in the interior...neat-o!

As for the headphones I swear by the Sony MDR series - I have 2 pairs of the 900's, in case 1 ever breaks...best sounding headphones i've ever heard, and pretty durable considering they are foldable. The 600's are pretty damn close and a lot nicer in price - i'd surf ebay as they show up on there within Canada at decent prices every now and then...

I haven't heard the Bose phones, but I have the Sony 600's and wouldn't say they're the shit or anything, but they do a real nice job. Comfy and crispy, but I don't cream myself every time I listen to music through them. I always live by the "buy Bose, get hosed" mantra, but they could be fantastic.

Supposedly the best noise cancelling phones are the etymotics, but they are in ear style which may not be what you're after. For non noise cancelling phones, you might consider a pair of Grado's, they're a highly regarded choice. Confused yet???

I have a pair of etymotics and swear by them. They use noise-isolation rather than cancellation, allowing you to listen in loud environments at a lower volume.. The thing I wonder about noise-cancellation is whether or not they change (even in the slightest bit) the accuracy of the sounds that are being reproduced since they are really adding inverted noise...I guess it would really depend on how accurate the sampling & reproduction of the inverted noise is - but it is still adding more, rather than isolating the noise, and faithfully reproducing the sound as it should be. Just my thoughts though, definitely a whacky neato way to drown things out in the background!

I also wonder about the noise-cancelling technology in situations where the the sounds outside the headphones is the same as the sounds inside the headphones, such as at a concert, where you're listening to a mix (e.g., from a soundboard, or mics in the audience) of the show. I think that the noise-isolations phones (such as the Etymotics or the Shure [iIRC] ones) would be better for that application.

Aloha,

Brad