Jambands.ca

Help??

ReDD

I need your opinion.

So for the last two days I have been feeling pretty crappy. Today I woke up to a sore throat, a full head and lungs that burned when I breathed. I took some cold and sinus meds at about 7 o'clock and they hardly helped. My shift at work started for 11:45 and I called my supervisor around 8:30. I told her I was very sick and that I could come in and help her during the lunch rush (i'm a cook). She basically said fine, i'll just do everything myself, the kitchen was left in shambles last night, (i worked an a.m. shift so I had nothing to do with that), nothing is prepped (once again worked a.m. shift so did what prep I could between hosting two birthday parties, and being the lone person in the kitchen to cook for all the custies) so stay at home. She used a very very rude tone while saying all this and gave me teh impression that she felt I was basically faking. She said bye and hung up before I could say anything else.

So me feeling guilty and unfortunatly too nice called back and said "Listen I am going to come in. Your obviously not prepared to handle a lunch rush by yourself." She answered with "your sick, I don't want to get sick, stay home. Bye." and hung up on me again.

I got off the phone seriously fuming. I think I was being pretty reasonable offering to come in at all and was treated like garbage. I decided that I was going to go to the walk in clinic and get a doctors note and prove to the skank that I was actually sick. When my boyfriend came home and I told him the story he was ready to march in there himself and say a few choice words to her. With him prompting me I decided to talk to the head boss about her actions.

I went into my job in my p.j's and had a meeting with him. I basically told him it's not my fault she's short staffed. If i'm sick I really shouldn't be there working with food and dealing with customers. I also told him how I felt guilty for not coming in, and I shouldn't have to when i'm sick. I said I like my job but don't like the stressful conditions there. He said what I was saying was reasonable and he would disuss her people skills with her as he had had other complaints in the past.

So after I talked to the head boss and gave him my doctors notes I was waiting for my boyfriend and she walked by. She said what are you doing here? I answered I had just gave Fillipo my doctors notes and discussed our phone call since you were extremly rude to me earlier. She answered with" Give it a break. I was working in the middle of a linch riush" walked away and under her breath proceeded to call me a bitch. If you remember I called at 8:30 in the morning. The kitched wasn't even open yet.

Now I have to go to work tomorrow and deal with her for about an hour. How would you guys say I go about this if she's rude to me? Be kind back, lay into her, walk out??

Man I am in a mess...:(

I'm sure that by now you know you're the bigger person.

I'd have to say this - don't be nice to her but don't push buttons, don't try to rile her up, and don't try to play into any office politics.

If there's anything to 'deal with'...like her being a bitch just do your job. If you're being singled out and treated unfairly compared to anybody else, then make sure you have somebody on your side before you go 'telling on her'...which would be a fair thing to do.

I'd suggest not walking out unless you don't want to do your job properly...now, if you CAN'T do your job properly because of the situation you really need to have a talk - not an argument - with this asshole. make sure you let her know you're not trying to come down on her but to set things straight because you obviously want to enjoy your work and since it's a busy place you need to both excel at your jobs. Atmosphere will make you work way better as you know, and a negative one will drive clientele away. I trust you genuinely want to enjoy yourself and have a rewarding work experience.

if things turn ugly then if there's a customer that sees you're in the right, perhaps an outside opinion could be warranted.

if you can't reason with the bitch by then don't feel bad if you break her nose with a sucker punch...that is, of course, if you don't feel that you can just walk out. last words can be silly and petty.

you could opt for karma to run its course though. not as rewarding as few people really get the point from a sucker punch...it just depends on how you feel at that last moment.

you could just buck it up and be underhanded...put some itching powder in her feminine hygiene products, a dead rat in her purse, make her brownies with ex-lax chocolate, saran wrap on the staff toilet seat...that's immature and petty...but could feel great...set ups aren't always that bad, but you know you're the bigger person.

What a bitch! Nobody deserves to be treated like that in the workplace, I'd file a formal complaint. You are right, you should not be going to work if you are sick, nobody wants to get a cold. She's obviously on the defence because she knows you complained about her rude behaviour, she knows she's in shit.

Just try to ignore her, she's not worth your mental power.

Thank you for all of your kind words. I actually felt really bad and thought I may have overreacted a bit. Well alot. I'm not a problem maker by any means and it took alot for me to actually say something to my boss.

I think you guys are right. I will just carry on like nothing happened and if she's rude just tell her that I am not going to be mean to her so she should probably try and be civil as well.

I'm still really worried about work tomorrow though.

ReDD say nothing. Silence is your most powerful weapon. You might think you can make her understand logic, but you can't. You might think you can make her see some common sense, but you can't. You might think you can make her feel some compasssion, but you can't. Go in, do your job and say as little as possible. If she makes your job uncomfortable/unbearable, report her. When your boss asks, as she/he inevitably will, "And what did you say?", it will feel good to respond, "Absolutely nothing."