Jambands.ca

Pink Floyd w/ Frank Zappa?!?

MarcO

From the book "Viva Zappa" by Dominique Chevalier: "1969. MUSIC POWER. A film by Jerome Laperrousaz, showing the festival at Amougies, October 1969. Zappa, the presenter, jams with Pink Floyd, Aynsley Dunbar and Archie Shepp".

If you go to that link, you'll see that apparently Zappa also didn't know he once jammed with Floyd:

There has been a photograph published in the 1970's, that was re-printed in one of the Society Pages (USA) fanzines that shows FZ on stage with Pink Floyd at Amougies. I believe Dominique Chevalier forwarded it on to Den & Rob to help clear up the matter, after FZ stated in one of his interviews with Society Pages that he didn't play with the Floyd. Sorry but I don't remember which edition of SP it was in.

Well,I read what Stone Mtn posted about Frank saying he didnt play with Floyd, but in an interview with Nick Mason, he claims Zappa did.

http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/band/interviews/nbm/nbm73.html

Also (scan to October 1969)

7. 25 - Mont de L'Enclus, Amougies, Belgium (Amougies Pop & Jazz Festival). FRANK ZAPPA joined them on Interstellar overdrive.

http://www.pinkfloyd.gr/Misc/Concerts/1969.html

I dunno, seems to be one of those stories.

Let's assume, then, that it wasn't one of those stellar performances.

It would be hard to say, though, how any sustained collaboration might have gone. Listening to Waters the cynic and Zappa the cynic simultaneously might have been like trying to drink a mixture of grapefruit juice and crushed tomatoes.

mmmm...grapefruit juice and tomatoes...together at last.

Archie Shepp played Guelph Jazz two years ago with a one-off quartet. He was a very heavy and elegant man. Listening to him warm up in the church funeral parlour was awestriking. Aynsly Dunbar is a monster too, one of the Mothers and plays on a whole bunch of record's including some Lennon.