Jambands.ca

personalized google

timouse

in oredr to take advantage of the new cool things google is offering, they ask that you sign up & create an account.

anyone else done this? this 1st thing i noticed is that i get a somewhat customized google start page. will google now record and analyze everything i search for in order to better suit my information needs? and if so, will they be able to build a profile of me? maybe that explains the black van that's been parked in front of the house for the last couple of weeks...

i really like google, and find it to be a pretty good alternative to carrying around a head full of url's. but it spooks me out a bit to imagine that i'm now possibly leaving GoogleTracks :)

I'm not sure how, but they do manage to track you're interests. I think it's only for the Google bar though. Your profile in google so far seems to be related to keeping your layout intact for the personalized page, and also for gmail.

I've heard that you can see a little info in your search results like "how many times you've visited a specific site", but I haven't seen that yet. I don't run any add-on bars in my browser.

However, I do notice that since the personalized page is my starting point, whenever I search, I am actually signed in. I guess all you need is a google account, an to be signed in if you want to let google keep your super secret internet searches on record.

btw, add this feed to your homepage...

http://www.jambands.ca/sanctuary/rss/fid12.xml

Edited by Guest

However, I do notice that since the personalized page is my starting point, whenever I search, I am actually signed in. I guess all you need is a google account, an to be signed in if you want to let google keep your super secret internet searches on record.

Yep, thats all it is.

I just added a show to the BT forum & so far no update on the RSS feed to my homepage (yes, I refreshed), for the life of me I can't figure out why this is the only feed that does this.

Sorry, it isn't instantaneous. That's why I stopped the cavern feed. It updates every hour I believe. I've meant to adjust that. I don't think it would matter much if I got it to update every couple of minutes now, but if I had alot of feeds, it would make a difference.

I guess I need to be clearer here. First off, I'm not complaining about your work here Mike and I'm certianly not looking for minute by minute updates (thats foolish).Once a day would be fine by me.

No need to apologize either man, obviously, this is being taken wrong so I'll leave the issue alone, I was more looking for insight & perhaps some tips to why its not updating unless I delete the feed & re-enter it is all.

Anyway, enough said.

wah?

I'm just talking about a script that runs at a specific interval. I noticed that it was running every 45 minutes, and I think that I now have set it to run every three minutes.

Every 3 minutes, it should look into that forum and pull out the last bunch of posts and creates a new RSS file in the feeds folder.

Please let me know if it made a difference. I'm pretty sure that's why you wouldn't have seen an updated feed previously.

Ok, signals are obviously crossed here or I'm just not being very clear about what my problem is.

I know exactly what you are talking about Mike, I do have other feeds which update every 12 hrs, but with the feed here, as I have mentioned already in this thread & the other thread, I only get updates when I delete the feed & re-enter it.

45 minute update does explain why I didn't see my torrent show up when I posted in this thread, but until I deleted the feed and then re-entered it this evening the only torrents that showed on my page were from november 1st (nero,phish) & before, when I had last re-entered the feed.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure how else to explain that.

Personally, I'm only interested in the updates first thing in the morning, so 12 hour updates are more then adequate. To me it seems only practical to make them more frequent when the site in question has numerous torrents added on a hourly basis opposed to a couple each day.

I come here daily so its not a big deal (hell, I can't even d/l via BT anymore) & I usually check the BT & sports forums first anyway, but since it seems to work for everyone else I've been curious to what the problem is on my end and am very interested in correcting it.