Jambands.ca

I like Widespread Panic

Guest Low Roller

I saw Panic back in 1998 and they didn't do that much for me, the music was a little country-fried, and the audience was a bunch of whitetrash acid freaks!! I have never heard the phrase who needs doses/sheets so much a one show! Having said that I would love to see them soon, I have been loving the Jams lately, and I find the lead singers voice has been growing on me. I don't think that Panic can be compared to the Allmans at all, as they play very different styles of music.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am intrigued by the fact that if someone likes a band on here and professes it, someone always brings up the slip (lower case out of lack of respect ;) ) can't it be Phish vs WSP this time, or The Dead vs Phil and Friends or kenny vs spenny? Sheesh.

My comment about The Slip was an homage to Low Roller's totally random comparison with Addison Groove Project a few weeks back. I probably should have put it in purple. Sorry about that!

First - to all people that have listened to live WSP shows, be careful. Most of the recordings are shit. If you really want to give it a try, buy teh 10/30/2005 show from Vegas through WSPonline. If you're going to be in Kitchener tomorrow PM me and I"ll give you a tip about getting good sounding WSP shows...

Second - Panic plays rock'n'fuckin'roll. They don't fuck around. They play nasty. Thats the southern edge - but there covers cover a very broad spectrum. Neil is likely the most covered.... the do the Band... the Dead... Tom Waits.. Talking Heads... they're all over the map.

Third - Bowser is not a weiner. Staight up I would not want to try and drink whiskey with that mutha. I'm be hurt. As for his voice, you have to like soul/emotion to appreciate it. IMO. ie. if you like Jerry ballads then have a listen to a well performed Trouble (yes, the Cat Stevens tune) or I'm Not Alone or Old Joe. Great stuff.

Fourth - if you're not a deadhead you're not going to get it. Their music is in the dead tradition more then anything else. Sure its got more edge and a lot more NOlreans to it. But listen to the lyrics etc. etc. These guys are no rich northeast kids. (almost got a little racist there, had to watch myself... lol ;) ) These guys are out to make the world a better place. Its not as hippy dippy or as airy fairy as say SCI, its mean nasty real but still kind. You know, like a biker. They act tough, but they mean well.

Makes sense to me...

John Bell has Soul like no other. Schools can drop a bomb that will knock your heart out of your chest. JoJo can tickle the keys better than most. Sonny is a percussion madman. Todd keeps that beat going in a no nonsense style and now George rips a meaner and heavier sound than Mikey ever did.

Catch Panic at Red Rocks, New Orleans or for New Years, These are the shows to be at. We did it all one year. Next time you watch TEWSY look for the Canadian Flag flying high over the Red Rocks lot in the opening scenes. That's us. God I love Panic and I really miss seeing live music. Panic brought to the table everything we loved in the Grateful Dead. Darkness and Light. Good and Bad. They have it all. Cheers to my friends so near!!!

Morgan, bring me something from the spring tour!!!

Detroit or Cleveland preferably, i got your blanks no matter how many you bring. DO IT!

see ya Friday, i hope Diesel Dog does Space Wrangler although i wish they would give Good Time a try one of these days, or even Disco, YA DISCO!!!!!

First - ...

Fourth - if you're not a deadhead you're not going to get it. Their music is in the dead tradition more then anything else.

Funny you say that. I love the dead, I love Jerry, and have listened to and enjoyed them for years.

I still don't like WSP.

First - ...

Fourth - if you're not a deadhead you're not going to get it. Their music is in the dead tradition more then anything else.

Funny you say that. I love the dead' date=' I love Jerry, and have listened to and enjoyed them for years.

I still don't like WSP.[/quote']

I didn't say if you like the dead you'll like it. I said you have to be from that cloth to get it...