Jambands.ca

Saturday drumming in Ottawa

bradm

If people are looking for something a bit different to do on Saturday, check out this XPress article. Leo Brooks, a local maker of hand drums, is having a fund raiser at the First Unitarian Church for an upcoming trip.

(I got tipped off to this by Velvet; IIRC, Leo and Velvet work in/with the Ottawa Folklore Centre, and Leo said he was looking for someone to record his performance, so Velvet got Leo and I in touch.)

Aloha,

Brad

Wow. I've got the recording going, and it's a blast. The show was even more blastular: I've never really been exposed to that kind of music (African, drumming) before, and I dug it immensely. The pews were pretty much full, and I had everything set up right down front, so I got good sound off the stage, combined with a really good audience/room feel.

And the dancing! It included both organized group dancing and individual improvisational stuff. The dancers had, pretty much without exception, amazing looks of exuberance (ecstatic, at times) on their faces.

I also gained a new appreciation for the music of Mr. Something Something: they aren't so much fusing African and Western musics as they are using the African stuff as a basis/foundation, and building things on top of it that resonate more (lyrically, especially) with Western audiences. (I also now realize how much Mr.SS members have studied these musics: their drummer, Larry Graves, was in town this weekend, so came to the show and took part in one piece done by a group he was a member of some years ago.)

All in all, it was a great way to spend a night, and, due to it being held at the First Unitarian Congregation, I suffered no ill effects the next morning...

Aloha,

Brad