Jambands.ca

About Wills

headymamamyrna

There was a lawyer from Ottawa on TV yesterday and he is there every third Wed. of the month.

He was talking about wills and yes is legal to write and sign your own will on a piece of paper and have it witnessed.

If you buy the will kit he says take it to a lawyer and have them go over it and witnes it for you nad that shouldn't cost more than thirty dollars or so.

On the other hand if you go to a lawyer to have it done it can cost a few hundred dollars now.

I can only speak from personal experience, but I can tell you that this firm would never take a will drafted by a lay-person, review it, approve it, and charge 30 dollars.

We would draft it from scratch or we wouldn't do it.

Also, I don't know of anything we do that would cost thirty dollars. At my billable rate, that would be under 18 minutes of my time, and I charge less than more senior lawyers. In Ontario, they often charge even more.

I can only speak from personal experience, but I can tell you that this firm would never take a will drafted by a lay-person, review it, approve it, and charge 30 dollars.

We would draft it from scratch or we wouldn't do it.

Also, I don't know of anything we do that would cost thirty dollars. At my billable rate, that would be under 18 minutes of my time, and I charge less than more senior lawyers. In Ontario, they often charge even more.

Now that makes more sense to me also.

I know that you can't step in a lawyers office or wating room for thirty dollars.

Lawyer Les seems to think so.

I think they are taking about getting someone to commission the affidavit and exhibit.

A holograph will(handwritten) does not have to be witnessed.

If you are going to draft a will, you might as well get a lawyer to do it because it will just cost your benificaries in the end.

I'm not a lawyer--I clerk at a small firm. I just learned these things from school and the bit of experience at my office.

Basic wills for regular people, with no complications are not that expensive. Hire a lawyer for sure.