Jambands.ca

I Was Dragged To The Sinead O'Connor Concert Saturday...

Jaimoe

... and the show was pretty darn good... honestly.

I've never been a fan of her music, but she's always been a rebel and stands for what she believes in, even though she's clearly a loon.

Her new album is all regaee covers done up as authentically as possible... and it works. She doesn't sing the songs with a Jamacian accent. You can hear her Irish lilt through and through - I wish white blues performers would stop continually mimicking their dead black heroes' dialects.

Sinead recorded her new album with the legendary Sly & Robbie and their backing band, and she brought them all along with her on this tour. I was thrilled Saturday to see and hear in-person Sly & Robbie laying down their patented heavy grooves - they also opened.

Sinead's concert at the Kool Haus featured 100 straight minutes of reggae tunes with a smattering of other obscure covers... and the crowd ate it up for the most part. No hits were played. Thank God no fucking Nothing Compares 2 U.

I think there was a small number in the crowd that didn't get it or want to get it - the ones that don't have and/or like the new album. She was relentless in her musical direction and subsequent set list. And as a non-fan, I was thankful for it.

Edited by Guest

It got several really good reviews as well, Toronto Star most notably. Phil and Friends was amazing in Buffalo....always nice to be surprised at a show (Sinead) you had low expectations for. Then again, with low expectations, less chance of being disappointed.

Edited by Guest

I'd like to point out that the much maligned audio issues that plaque the Kool Haus did not exist on Saturday. The sound was pitch-perfect.

The Kool Haus/Guvernment is a great venue. If it was bad, it no longer is. The sound system is appropriate and decadent for the room. The only thing I don't like is the $15 for the the parking, though it is one of the most scenic lots in the city. Mmmmm redpath sugar.