Jambands.ca

fuel depot explosion

bouche

I saw a documentary on the Fire Fighters who fight fires on holding tanks off the Gulf Coast.... they have a surface area between that of three to four football fields. They also have a floating rubber roof so that the gas is contained, and there are no pockets of air which would increase the rate of combustion and ultimately a castastrophe... but sometimes these roofs get hit with lightning and it can tear a hole casing a fire to start. It doesn't just go boom, but tears in the roof allow some gas to candle allowing a firey column of gas to escaspe. This effect is made very impressivbe and scary wiht even moderate winds. The fire fighters have to go up 8 stories onto a pool of gas with nothing between them and the gas than a 2" roof/floor of rubber and douce the flames with special foam until the fire goes out.

These dudes are tough hombres... that is all.

It reminds me of the power station up the street from us on Ossington back in Toronto two summers back that had a fire - scariest and thickest black plumes I've ever seen.

Been watching season one of Rescue Me. I think I'd go crazy as a firefighter. I had an uncle die a few years back as a result of cumulative effects of years of toxic fumes.

Guest Low Roller

When I got back from Germany the air in Brighton was a little funkier than before that's for sure... not that the air is any good in this country.

Apparently the blast was felt as far as Holland according to some clients I was talking to this morning.

Some real 'cool' pictures were posted on BBC today. It's scary as hell, but makes for some stunning stills...

1.jpg

7.jpg

_41112516_andy_baxter.jpg

Holy cow! Thanks for the links to the awesome -- and I mean that in truly the darkest sense of the word -- pix!

They are still saying it's an accident, which I'm inclined to think it is, but there's also been some muted talk about it being intentional.

Personally, this is why I'm looking forward to the end of 2005 -- hopefully 2006 won't have so much massively weird sh!t going down... but then, I'm a dreamer.