Jambands.ca

Playoffs at my house!

peipunk

I bought a 44-inch Toshiba DLP on Boxing Day 2004 at an independant store in Toronto: Great Metropolitan on Elglinton (I personally don't trust the Future Shop). It was impulsive then, but I don't regret buying it for one minute.

LCD's and DLP's are direct rival technologies and it looks like you got a good deal. Both types of TV's have their pluses and minuses, but I can't go back to analog TV.

Punk, YOU HAVE to get HDTV either through Rogers or Bell.

Well done!

Edited by Guest

Ha, she wasn't with me Davey Boy, but I had to call her first! She just told me I was crazy and then let me go.

Jaimoe, I want HDTV really bad, but I'm going to hold off until the dust settles and we are living in the new house and have all our payments figured out. I can't remember if our Express Vu receiver has the capability. I'll be kicking myself if it doesn't.

The funny thing about this TV is that I have a buddy who works at Future Shop and have been talking with him for the last 2 months about TV's.... and this is the exact model we settled on as being ideal for what I wanted!

Some electronics stores have deals for HDTV if you buy a widescreen high def TV. When I bought my TV, I got the complete HD channel package for free ( for one year ). Check that out.

Also, YOU HAVE to have a good stereo system for full entertainment results. Don't go cheap on the sound system and make sure the receiver is loaded with audio options: DTS, EX etc...

Also, you have to have a progressive scan DVD player.

And another thing: You will notice that some DVD's and TV signals will look like crap. The high end TV's are unforgiving... and that's not a bad thing. The cheaper the DVD or TV signal, the worse things will look and sound. Any old DVD that isn't " enhanced for HD TV's " won't look too great.

Most 'good' DVD players are progressive scan. Some of the older players have an option where you can manually switch the player to play progressive scan.

Progressive Scan - When used with a compatible TV, such as an HDTV or an HDTV-Ready TV, this high-end video output will deliver sharp images even when objects onscreen are moving rapidly. Flicker lines are almost eliminated as all 480 lines of vertical resolution are drawn 60 times a second, instead of only every other line as with standard 480 line interlaced video (480i).

Yeah Jaimoe, I think I'll leave the PVR stuff to my computer, which will be connected. I already have a great audio system, an Onkyo receiver and a big set of Cerwin Vega surround speakers. The package that I just bought has a little Yamaha home theatre system included, so I think I'll put that upstairs in the house, but take its subwoofer downstairs. Ahhhh, its gonna be beautiful. Maybe I'm going to hell for being so wrapped up in material possesions, but this is the first time in my life I had anything other than a bass amp or a beat up car.

Maybe I'm going to hell for being so wrapped up in material possesions, but this is the first time in my life I had anything other than a bass amp or a beat up car.

i think that bass amp helped earn ya enough karma to keep ya from the firey depths of hell, my friend. :)