Jambands.ca

vacation run

dancingbear

this will be brief as i have so much to 'catch up on' but figure if it waits longer it will become irrelevant...

so living on the rock makes it hard to see shows (not involving accordians). However I did get a chance to see a few shows over the past few weeks. For those who care...

Dec 29th- after waiving my finger in the air and carrying my 'cash for extra' sign around the fillmore for a while with NO luck in the throngs (for PHIL), decided to hop a bus and go to kimock. great show, amazing 'consolation'. overall very tired however from a massive day of travel to san fran.

Dec 30th- this was my ethical dilema day. should i buy a tick for $100 dollors (face with surcharges etc was about 60) and see PHIL or got to tea leaf green which i HAD tix for. As this was at the warfield (about maybee 4000 or less capacity???) it was also a tough ticket. decided to shell the cash out, as phil is aging and well you never know. being the first time i supported scalping (although bought from a fan who 'lifted' my spirits couple times that night) still felt emotionally weird about it. mostly cause i try to keep at least one aspect in my life, "pure". (out of curiousity what would you do?) anyhow highlights were broken chain and box of rain. help>slip> into some joan osborne tune was a bit dissappointing , as i thought it would be a box of rain>frank encore however it stopped after bor.

good night, crowd was a bit mellow, and looking at setlists some could say weakest of three day run. bye the way phoned 'the independetn' were TLG was playing and managed to leave miracles at the box office (a cool person was working)2, so the tix were not wasted!

setlist

dec 31st- string cheese. admittingly i dont listen to them very much in day to day life, however, whenever i see them they manage to ROCK. the crowd was fantastic, energy amazing and the two and a ahlf hour second set took you THERE. if anyone likes that tune (sorry dont know the name) that has the lyrics )"5000 years ago this canyon was not formed" i would track this version down. the venue was odd, but overall fantastic night, especially pre-party was at a semi-san-francisco drag party!!!

set 2 setlist --FLOYD!

Set 2: Rhum 'n' Zouc > NYE Countdown > Rollover¹ > I Want to Take You Higher¹ > Jam > Rollover¹, Pack It Up, Black Clouds > Big Mon > Black Clouds, Way Back Home^ > Jam² > Radioactive Rap > Jam > Howard Reprise, Little Hands > Shine on You Crazy Diamond¹³ > Texas > Shine on You Crazy Diamond > Texas

next stop colorado...

started poorly as i left my phil and friends poster (great texture, white rose, top hat, dancing turtles) at the bus stop going from denver to boulder. consolation being I"M ON THE BUS.

boulder, more bumper stickers per car than anywhere i've been. its hard to find NON-organic food in this town. went skiing and did three tea leaf green shows. the one in breckenridge was the best (although worst sound system) for those interested in finding tapes. the aspen show was pretty tame, and boulder was solid. didnt have enought energy to make it to denver for the fourth in four nights after the old tour story of car problems, mountains, and white-out blizzrds).

anyhow thats the short of it.

had my phix for at least a month till i'm itching again.

keep well,

spencer

Edited by Guest

Great read, Spencer! Thanks for sharing. What a time you had. btw, I would support scalpers if need be.

Keeping real busy on the rock I suppose you are. PM your addy and I'll send you a little care package of the Five 4 Silver recordings I have from the trip out there!

Consider making your next big trip to these parts! No ethical dilemmas involved! :D