Jambands.ca

I'm getting......delivered to my door

livingstoned

my first fresh box of "Front Door Organics" So excited. 35 bucks and a bin of organic fruits and veggies right to my door. While I know that this is not new and some of you may already be doing it but I'm excited. Eventhough they emailed me what I'm getting and they allow for 2 substitutions - it still feels like it'll be a surprise box-o-food on my doorstep.

weehooo....I love food!!!

we do the Plan B Organic Farm thing here in Hamilton. It is great to have all these fresh veggies laid out in front of you wondering "what can I do with them"?

We divide the costs between another couple and it works out great. Really forces you to eat yer veggies!

yes and the friend who sold me on it - basically said you get the odd thing that you wouldn't normally buy so you figure out new things to cook and whatnot - which is what I've been wanting to do. I love to cook and I LOVE food did I mention I LOVE food but I am very limited in my own cooking...lazy shopper really basically I buy the same things and make the same things that I always do...all good and always fresh but I need to expand.

in the Spring and Summer, prepare yourself for lots of greens.

what I like to do this time of year is a big ol' simple veggie roast. Get all your root veg, onions, peppers, whatever in a big bowl, mix liberally with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, dried herbs of your choice, and I like red wine vinegar here, and onto a tray and into the oven for however long it takes for everything to be evenly cooked. Just make sure you cut everything into sizes that make sense (ie root veggies shouldn't be half-raw while your peppers and onions are melted beyond recognition).

And the leftovers can be whizzed up and turned into either a roasted veggie pasta sauce, a sandwich spread, an omelette or frittata filling (unwhizzed) or baked off inside calzone dough with more cheese than anyone should normally have.

I am hungry.

in the Spring and Summer, prepare yourself for lots of greens.

what I like to do this time of year is a big ol' simple veggie roast. Get all your root veg, onions, peppers, whatever in a big bowl, mix liberally with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, dried herbs of your choice, and I like red wine vinegar here, and onto a tray and into the oven for however long it takes for everything to be evenly cooked. Just make sure you cut everything into sizes that make sense (ie root veggies shouldn't be half-raw while your peppers and onions are melted beyond recognition).

And the leftovers can be whizzed up and turned into either a roasted veggie pasta sauce, a sandwich spread, an omelette or frittata filling (unwhizzed) or baked off inside calzone dough with more cheese than anyone should normally have.

I am hungry.

oh and by the way that sounds yummmmmy

The Good Food Box is the grandmamie of them all in TO...and they support all kinds of community groups. If you want to become an organizer/drop spot for a group of ten, the bonus is you get your box free. We did when we were highrise dwellers way back when.

something else I'd heard about for years (and finally tapped into our last year in the city) is "CSA" -- Community Shared Agriculture. You and a group of others support a small organic farmer by buying shares/investing at the beginning of the season. The interesting thing, apart from supporting someone's cool "job" is that you as an "investor" take the same risks as the farmer...in some seasons the bounty is bountiful, in other seasons, less so.