Jambands.ca

Raptors News

badams

Toronto Raptors' interim general manager Wayne Embry made a major move today, sending Jalen Rose and a first round pick to the New York Knicks in exchange for power forward Antonio Davis.

The move is a salary dump for Toronto, which no longer has to worry about paying Rose the $16.9 million salary he is guaranteed next season. Davis is making $13.9 million this year, but his contract expires at the end of the season, which helps the Raptors clear a lot of cap room.

Maybe they'll now try to sign James long-term to appease Bosh regarding his worries regarding the direction of the team.

I think your right on the money there. Even if they don't this clears up nearly $17mil next year. I doubt they will even try to resign Davis. I like Rose but his contract was just too big.

Bosh really likes James and wants him signed (I hope fans listened to Bosh's comments from yesterday?).

And then, Embry pulls the trigger on the deal today. Davis will not help too much this year with numbers, but hopefully he'll help mentor Sow and Charlie V.

Let's hope Davis leaves his wacko wife in the States. Did you see her crazy mug in the Star today? She is crazy, but I must say, still pretty good-looking.

Think of it this way.

Next year the Raptors save $16.9 Mil by trading Rose.

AD's contract is up at the end of this year. I can't see the Raptors signing him unless it is for the vet minimum which is around $1 Mil. AD won't want to be in TO and his wife defenitly won't :)

The draft pick is from the Carter trade and I believe is Golden States and is Lottery protected. So it will likely be a 20th to 25th pick and next year is supposed to be a bad draft (not deep). The pick is really not that good.

So by freeing up all this cap space the Raptors can sign James if they want and also look at potential free agents.

I like Rose but he is way overpaid.

I like the move. It's smart financially, also with Roses departure it's one less guy to take minutes from the youngsters.

The Raps are probably a worse team than they were yesterday but it looks good for the future.

None the less, now that the initial shock is gone, I think we should all tip our hats to Jalen. He was a 'total' professional while he was with the Raptors, hit a TON of 'big' shots (ala Vince, in the long run) and didnt really complain when he could/should have.

Fuck, I am wasted. He's an NBA'er. I am probably forgetting something..............

;)

Nah, you nailed the Rose thing. He didn't whine when his role changed from starter to a 6th or 7th man role. He actually became more useful coming off the bench.

We'll see how this year's draft goes. It's going to be even heavier on Euros and highschoolers, which are both crapshoots. The Raps traded Denver's 1st round pick, which would not be high.

You are going to have to give up on JYD. He is not coming back. If he couldn't stay with the Knicks, who are worse than the Raptors, then he is definately not coming back to Toronto. The Raptors are going with a youth movement and they do not need a glorified cheerleader.

JYD is retired, and to previous comments, high schoolers can no longer enter the draft. The move was brilliant - I didn't think they would ever find a team to take on Jalen's ridiculous contract. Now they have a bunch of cap room for next season. One report on ESPN mentions they may take a run at Nene to fill the centre position.