Jambands.ca

AVI to mpeg (DVD) - Conversion help

Esau

OK, I downloaded a Dylan video which is 2 avi files (each around 718,573 KB), to play them I had to download AVI codec pack 2.0 from download.com , after doing that the files played no problem on my computer.

Now the issues....

I want to burn them to DVD (make mpegs), but nero still does not recognize them, so, I grabbed a copy of IMTOO AVI to DVD converter, but no matter what I do I cannot get it to recoginze the two avi files I have.

IMTOO recognizes the other avi files on my hard drive, so I know the software is fine. But it will not see the two files I want to convert to DVD. Nero does not see the files period.

So, has anyone come across this before? Am I missing somthing.

Any help is appreciated.

Here are some guides but this is getting into the realm of more power/more settings/more time rather then the single program click a button way of doing things. You get much more control if you care to learn it all though.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/vso_divxtodvd_2_guide.cfm

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_multiple_formats_to_dvd_dvdsanta.cfm

Thanks, I've spent alot of time on that site already, but since this question appears all the time I get really no help except links and told to read forums, although the only related question I find is how to burn avi files, nothing relating to having avis that play in all players but are not recognized by any conversion programs.

I've converted & burned avi files before so I'm not really looking for a how-to , as mentioned my other avi files have worked without issue. I thought it had to do with the hdtv issue that comes with avi now-a-days but these aren't those type of avi's.

I've tried (so far) TMPGEnc, WinMPG Video Convert, VirtualDub and DVD Decrypter so far all do not recognize the files as compatible.

Thanks though, asking here was sorta a last resort seeing as I have inquired on numerous video sites, waiting for a buddy who works in this stuff to get home froma trip & I'll have him come over.

Appreciate the replies though.

haha, the fact that you know tmpgenc and virtualdub means the files probably are real strange if you can't convert them.

Have you tried avisynth? It can make a file from an avi that can be read in tmpgenc. I've used it a couple times for the same reason as you mention it's just a little tough if you don't know what you're doing. If you run avi's through it, it will spit out a file that player's and such think is actually a raw video file (meaning just about anything can play, encode, etc it). I use it mostly to get virtualdub to read vobs (to convert them to divx) but it also works to get tmpgenc to read divx's (or it used to, it's fairly old now).

After that, my friend, I say good luck to you.

mattm

Well, I can't explain why the other programs won't recognize those files. But while inspecting my computer I discovered that I have Cyberlink Power Producer 3 (OEM). I just got this computer in late december so I guess I havn't played around with everything yet.

Anyway, out of curiousity I tried opening the files with it, so far it seems to be working. I was able to create template screen and am currently creating a DVD folder (saving to HDD), next is the burn. If everything is successful, I'll invest the time to create chapters.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Power Producer eh? I had that on the loaner laptop I had for a bit but didn't actually open it. Is it any good?

Also, I had forgotten to mention: Adobe Premiere. I have yet to try and open a file and have premiere say no (except to .asf files which MS says you can't edit and programs seem to agree with them).

Alright, I'll stop suggesting things as you've got it covered, I just really enjoy this stuff. I set up a blue room in an apartment I lived in in London Ontario and it was fun as hell.