Jambands.ca

Walk The Line

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Has there already been a thread about the Johnny Cash movie 'Walk The Line'?

If so, can we have another?

I just saw the movie tonight, and I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. Give Reese Witherspoon that Oscar post haste! She nailed her character and finally proved why she is the second highest paid actress in Hollywood.

Joaquin Pheonix was adequate as Johnny Cash, but I don't anybody could have done justice to such an iconic character.

The movie clocks in at just over two hours, and if those two actors do their own music, then they deserve a massive big-up for their effort.

Fun movie, and highly recommended.

I thought it was fantastic (easier once you let go of the idea of it being an undistilled treatment of the lives of everyone involved). I still think about it all the time.

Low Roller, do you get into London often? I heard a bit on the news about how record companies were paying buskers in the subway system to play country tunes to ramp up interest in this movie, and in the genre more generally.

Agreed! I was very impressed at the acting/musicianship/accuracy throughout. I really enjoyed the parts that involved the other early Sun greats as well as Johnny and June.

The movie clocks in at just over two hours, and if those two actors do their own music, then they deserve a massive big-up for their effort.

They absolutely did, and had to work really hard at it. Reese Witherspoon found it so tough that at one point she tried desperately (through her lawyer, agent and others) to get out of the film. They do all the singing on the soundtrack as well, which is pretty impressive.

Guest Low Roller
Low Roller, do you get into London often? I heard a bit on the news about how record companies were paying buskers in the subway system to play country tunes to ramp up interest in this movie, and in the genre more generally.

Can't say whether or not this is true or not as I haven't been up to London in a while, however I've seen some pretty talented people just playing the streets around Brighton for pocket change.

Low Roller' date=' do you get into London often? I heard a bit on the news about how record companies were paying buskers in the subway system to play country tunes to ramp up interest in this movie, and in the genre more generally.[/quote']

Can't say whether or not this is true or not as I haven't been up to London in a while, however I've seen some pretty talented people just playing the streets around Brighton for pocket change.

Some of those buskers got talent don't they?

Currently listening to Lonesome Prison Blues. I wonder what kind of music Jerry spawned back in Oregon State Penetentiary?

Guest Low Roller

Just listened to 'At San Quentin' this morning. On a Johnny Cash kick right now, which is a first because I can't ever say I've been into country music. I must be getting old or something.

I figure there were two main factors responsible for me getting interested into country, after having shunned it for a long time: a) understanding its place in the music of the Dead, the Band, etc., and B) hearing how all the old-school country musicians were getting shut out of the industry from the early 90's onwards in favour of people like Garth Brooks - made me think they really did have something worth listening to.

Plus I'm getting old ;).

Great movie. Great acting, great singing, great tunes. They came up here to london and didn't depict it as snow covered pine trees as so many american films do. I lived in london for six years and had no idea johnny proposed to june at the gardens, neat.

Two thumbs up from me.

Great movie. Great acting, great singing, great tunes. They came up here to london and didn't depict it as snow covered pine trees as so many american films do. I lived in london for six years and had no idea johnny proposed to june at the gardens, neat.

Two thumbs up from me.

After seeing the movie, I told my dad about it. He went and saw it and then told me he was at the show at the Gardens in February 68 with my great-uncle. I naturally didn't believe him cuz he's a kidder... until I asked my great-uncle who produced the program from the concert as proof. Turns out my great-uncle has a huge collection of Cash memorabilia and met Johnny numerous times over the years.

It was my dad's first concert.

AD