Jambands.ca

THE HYLOZOISTS

NewRider

It's Paul Aucoin formerly of the Sadies band, he produced Cuff The Duke's self-titled as well, a multi-instrumentalist who works predominantly on vibraphone. This group has three vibe players at least I believe. The whole members of BSS, Sadies, Fembots and Weakerthans is a a bit misleading though. The member of BSS is Julie Penner I'd imagine, likewise she is the only Fembot I'm aware of their being in that band, he's the Sadie of course and I guess one of the vibe players is a Weakerthan. Quite good from what I've heard, I really like Aucoin and frankly don't like the Sadies nearly as much without him.

I saw the Hylozoists open for Cuff the Duke and the Nate Coles Outfit. I was definitely entertained and remember it being one the most uniqe band's I'd ever scene.

I also thought that if it wasn't an opening set length I might have snapped by the 1hr mark.

It's a lot of vibes and a little willy-nilly on the organization front, but like I said it was unique and entertaining.

The Hylozoists were (this time):

Paul Aucoin (ex-Sadies, occasional member of Fembots)

Nathan Lawr (ex-Royal City, ex-Sea Snakes, presently fronting a band called The Minotaurs)

Wayne & Paul (from Cuff the Duke)

Dale from The Guthries

Pat from Tricky Woo/Sackville

a string player that i did not get the name of.

and Jason Tait (Weakerthans) was supposed to be there but had car problems and could not make it in.

I didn't realize Dale (Murray - Anne's nephew as far as I know) was an Upper Canadian now. The Guthries really were something special, but if anyone was going to make it on their own it would be Matt although at the time I really didn't understand it. Dale's all over Buck 65's Talkin' Honky Blues and This Right Here Is Buck 65 as a member of the Savant Guard.

• 3 weeks later...