Jambands.ca

Hamilton Record Store - going out of business sale

hamilton

Screaming Mimi's is going out of business. I don't know what the closing date is, but they are currently offering 50% off of all used products and 25% off of all new products.

It's really sad to se them going. It's a pretty funky little place, and every city needs more independent CD stores.

is screaming mimi's the one that's right by reigning sound?

that sucks that they're closing.

I'm not sure - is Reigning Sound the one on Hess just south of King, the one that specializes in punk stuff?

Screaming Mimi's is on the north side of King between Caroline and Hess, right across the street from Tim Horton's. It's in one half of what used to be the old La Luna.

yeah, but almost exclusively punk/garage/etc... Reigning Sound is practically a museum for that sort of thing, worth wasting an afternoon browsing and picking up a few things... like walking into an independent record store back in 1980-85, though they're up to date with modern alternative stuff too... they open and close late (whenever they feel like it, it seems... have wandered in at midnight) so worth peeking in if you're around there in the evening

Jimmy Vapid's place... of The Vapids

there's a link to the store in the above website

they have in-store shows there sometimes can be pretty fun

jim-store3.jpg

Edited by Guest
clarification

yeah i feel bad for a small independant music store closing, but that particular market i would say might be over saturated. dr disc, cheapies, reigning sound and screaming mimi's all within a 2 km radius of one another. but then where are you going to put a business like that in hamilton BUT the downtown core and keep it viable? and boo to another downtown business shuttin er down. that suuucks.

What is the closing date? This may finally get me off my ass and pick up a turn table, and add to my vinyl collection.

The girl behind the counter said she didn't know what the precise closing date would be, only that they were going to be shutting down.

As for the vinyl comment, don't confuse the two different stores in the thread. Jhamie is talking about Reigning Sound - and that's a photo of it above - but Screaming Mimi's has a much smaller vinyl section... maybe just a few square feet. Still, it's worth it to go in there and take advantage of the going-out-of-business sale.