Jambands.ca

I need car advice... chevy owners??

edger

Hey folks.

I'm thinking about buying a 2005 Chevy Cavalier (standard model). I've never owned a Chevy, so I am looking for any reviews/opinions, etc. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but it was in an accident and a friend of the family has fixed it up and is selling it for cheap. Anyone have any particularly bad experiences with this kind of car?

Also, I am going to sell my old car. It runs great, has never let me down, but the body is definitely starting to rust out. I am willing to sell it for cheap, as I live out in the country so it is not very conducive for people seeing it (which makes it a pain in the ass to sell). There are lots of kms on it, but I imagine that one could easily get a year or two's worth of mileage out of it at least. I'd sell it for $500 bucks which in my opinion is a total steal. It's a Toyota Corolla (1992), and great on gas. it's the second corrolla that I have driven and they run forever. I would buy a new Corolla now if I was able to afford it... hence why I am opting for the cheaper Chevy (maybe)

Just thought I'd put that out there..

i too used to own a sunfire, which was total crap. but i think it was just a lemon. i got it new off the lot and had to take it back 4 days later, wouldn't go higher than 2nd gear.

a friend has a cavalier which is a late 90's model i think and she hasn't had many problems with it. i would talk to a mechanic you trust about if there's any damage to the engine from the accident. once a car's been in a major accident it's never really the same.

edit to add: not all american cars stnmtn, i drive an 89 buick and it's been alright, would be better if i took better care of it.

edger, keep your camry if it's good for awhile longer. i'm sure a better deal will come your way in that time.

Edited by Guest

danger danger!

i had a 2000 sunfire which in the 4 years i had it suffered numerous "electronic module failures," none of which were $100 a pop and not covered by warranty. i also had the power steering lines rust through...the send lines went one day, and the very next day the return lines failed. when i confronted the service manager at the dealership, he told me that the 2nd set had probably failed due to rough treatment when they replaced the 1st set. not that they gave me any sort of price break...he mangnaimously gave me a coupon for a free oil change which i promptly handed back to him, all the while muttering about how they wouldn't get another cent of my maintenance money.

the kicker was when i finally went to get rid of it, the price of new sunfires had dropped so low that i got $2500 for a 4 year old car.

i swore that i would never again buy from GM.

after getting shut of my scumfire, i bought a toyota matrix, and have had 2 years of totally happy ownership.

just saying :)

Edited by Guest
further outrage and spelling issues.

My friend Mel had a cavalier, bought it off of a Hyundai dealer in Kitchener. It was a lemon (aren't they all?). I can't remember what exactly the issues were, just that they involved the engine and possibly transmission. Ended up costing her more than the car was worth and a lot of tears too. My husband has a Lumina, it has its own issues (including the intake valve as mentioned above).

Your Toyota will probably outlast that Cavalier, think twice about that purchase