Jambands.ca

Racism in Canadian Media

Dr_Evil_Mouse

pointing a finger at people's flaws. not a charming quality.

Sure, maybe if it was a birth mark, fart or a mispronounced or wrong word in conversation, ie. something said by accident - but I would say that racist humour in public by elected officials is a flaw that I would want pointed out, charming or otherwise.

*shrug*

i guess i've just been around a hell of a lot of racist humour around these parts and know that some people uttering this kind of stuff really show no real grounds of being deemed a 'racist', but rather just made the bad choice of telling a stupid joke.

Everyone has flaws, yes, but some are more glaring than others. I think that if an elected official harbours racist views then those views should be exposed. Our officials wield a lot of power that shapes public policy. An offhand remark might reveal more about a person than years of prepared speeches. So sometimes I do think it is the smallest things that truly matter.

I sense "these parts" is quite a different world.

maybe. it's definately *sigh* indicative of rural canada though and i suppose if you're not a rural Canadian, or have too much exposure to it, you'd think it a different world.

Everyone has flaws, yes, but some are more glaring than others. I think that if an elected official harbours racist views then those views should be exposed. Our officials wield a lot of power that shapes public policy. An offhand remark might reveal more about a person than years of prepared speeches. So sometimes I do think it is the smallest things that truly matter.

I definately hear what you're saying, and really I agree with you. I'm just saying that a bad joke on a bus shouldn't serve as the stake that drives through a man's career. i think the public should at least garner more evidence against a man before screwing him royally over. that's all!

Edited by Guest

Birdy:

Although I don't look like it, I'm a "minority", being Jewish. Since I don't stand out as obviously Jewish (being caucasion and all) I've heard some pretty offensive Jewish jokes.

I can tell you that I really don't care whether the people who made these jokes are otherwise good people or non-racist. Proliferating stereotypes through humour or any other means, especially negative stereotypes, causes others to think it's okay. It could cause other racists to be more active, now that their beliefs are validated by others.

At the very least, it is hurtful to those who are joked about, such as the poor, timid Jewish guy in the room; who is being laughed at by a group of ignorami who don't realize that a member of the group that is the butt of their jokes is present.

It's intolerable, regardless of how ignorant the jokester is of his/her offensiveness.

stone, i agree completely.

i'm sorry if I gave off the impression that I tolerate anything remotely racist or stereotypical in thought, I do not. I started contributing to this thread just to show that sometimes people make ridiculous comments with absolutely little thought and to tape them, and play them back to them, and hold them accountable seemed a little much. i just wanted to say that there were probably much better ways to deal with this kind of thing than to involve the devil's advocate - the media. unfortunately for me, at times, i'm all too forgiving of people and in an effort to avoid confrontation would rather think that if a person is truly evil, i don't have to seek them out to deliver their destiny, karma will. i believe the world in it's own special way does a very good job at giving a person exactly what they deserve. i would hope that all mankind, even when the victim, can forgive. As really forgiveness is the greatest gift that we collectively possess. Please don't think that I am condoning these people at all, I am not. I am simply saying that sometimes people really don't think before they speak, but that doesn't mean that when they go home at night and are trying to fall asleep, they can't, because they are eating themselves alive for what they said or did. Everyone has a conscience and most can decide between what is right and what is wrong.

You're right though. Continued jokes, etc. do give off the impression that it is ok, but I don't think ruining a man is the answer to the problem.

edit to add: i deleted my post about Manitoulin cuz in all of my stoned paranoia, i got to thinking about it too much.

Edited by Guest

Fisk interviewed Jonathan Kay of the National Post, seeking his opinion of describing people as "brown-skinned." To my infinite sorrow, Kay responded: "These things are heavily idiomatic in the sense that, you know, 40 years ago, we would have said 'coloured.' "

At this point, I briefly considered driving a spoon into my heart, Kay not being available. People in Britain and worldwide are now reading that "brown-skinned" is part of the Canadian idiom.

great.

now robert fisk is gonna think that we're a bunch of redneck morons :P

you can say the right thing and still mean the wrong thing...nice of these folks to be so candid about their biases.