Jambands.ca

My Morning Jacket Boston Pops

dave-O

Quick review. In a word - wow. This show was all about Jim James' voice sounding majestic in Symphony Hall. It was obviously a bit of a laid back show, MMJ were using an electronic drum set and the guitar/bass amps weren't on stage (so as to not overpower the orchestra). Highlights were a muted trumpet doing call and answer with the pedal steel lines in Golden; the auxiliary percussion (timpani, vibes, wood blocks, chimes, etc) added a lot of drama; on Wordless Chorus the string and horns providing harmonies on the, um, wordless chorus and Jim sang to the bear mascot. Some gorgeous moments.

Boston Pops set

A Postcard to Boston (Williams)

Bump (Rouse)

Overture (Bjork)

Il Sogno (Costello)

The Housatonic at Stockbridge (Ives)

An American in Paris (Gershwin)

MMJ + Boston Pops

-9:09-

At Dawn

Gideon

I Will Sing You SOngs

Just One Thing

Golden

Steam Engine

Wordless Chorus

The Way That He Sings

Run Thru (biggest rock out moment of set)

Bermuda Highway (just Jim and orchestra)

-10:06-

The Slip after-show felt a bit like going to the minor leagues after being in the bigs. The sound was putrid at the start of the set, with the vocals cranked and piercing. But in their defence, the soundboard was behind the stage (WTF?) and it improved.

-10:15-

intro > soft machine

even rats

old song that I can't put my finger on right now, I want to say Cut from the Cloth?

Wine + White Soda

Airplane/Primitive

The Shouters (wicked!!)

December's Children (I've now seen DC at every Slip show I've seen since Oct. 2003)

E: If One Of Us Should Fall

-11:30-

There were moments of brilliance, there were moments of very sloppy playing. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Good night.

Guest Low Roller

Very cool!

How is Jim James in person?

My question to you is how did you figure out the Boston Pops setlist? Did you have a program, or did you actually recognize those compositions?? Out of that bunch the only one I would have even remotely recognized was the Gershwin piece.