Jambands.ca

Who else saw Christian McBride Band on Monday night??

Guitarchitect

Was anyone here at the Christian McBride show on Monday night?

Let me say first that I only showed up that night because Charlie Hunter was there. He put on an AMAZING show, with a couple of very talented (and YOUNG!) musicians. What a talented, talented man.

But then... THEN. Then the CMB took the stage after some good spinning by DJ Logic. I'm going to admit right here and now that somehow, beyond explanation, I had never heard of the Christian McBride Band.

Have you ever gone to a show, not knowing what to expect only to be COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY? When they launched into their first song, "Technicolor Nightmare", I suddenly realized what I was in for - some incredible musicians, and incredible music. When McBride did his lead-in solo into "Sonic Tonic", I suddenly realized that my musical life was going to be completely different, now that I knew about another unbelievable, immensely talented musician. When the band joined him on it, the groove was inescapable and I couldn't help smiling. It's just so fucking GOOD!

Needless to say, I enjoyed the hell out of the rest of the show. If you've never heard of them, you owe it to yourself as a fan of good music to pick up "Live at Tonic". You will NOT be disappointed in the least.

So who else was there? What did you think?

I wish I could have been there - Christian McBride is incredible.

I have the new Live At Tonic album, which I think is pretty good. The first disc is excellent; the other two discs are good, but I think I would have preferred that they had played actual songs with the guests, or done "true" improvisation; I found the last two discs a little bit generic (although certainly each one does have some inspired moments).