Jambands.ca

Steve

ollie

Not necessarily linked for content. I just get a big kick out of Bush calling Harper "Steve" for some reason.

U.S. risks isolation, Harper warns

U.S. risks isolation, Harper warns

Says border law could upset relations

Bush says he's proud of allies like `Steve'

Jul. 7, 2006. 01:00 AM

BRUCE CAMPION-SMITH

OTTAWA BUREAU

WASHINGTON—Prime Minister Stephen Harper has chided the U.S. government for its looming border restrictions, warning that if America becomes more isolated from its allies, "the terrorists will have won."

Harper delivered that message in private and later in public as he met with U.S. President George W. Bush at the White House yesterday.

The Prime Minister used his first visit to the U.S. capital to warn about the consequences of the U.S. law that will require Canadians and Americans to carry passports or other, undefined security documents to cross the U.S. border by Jan. 1, 2008.

"I would hate to see a law go into place that has the effect of not just limiting and endangering trade or tourism, but endangering all those thousands of social interactions that occur across our border every day," he said.

"If the fight for security ends up meaning that the United States becomes more closed to its friends, then the terrorists have won. And I don't think either of us want that," he said, with Bush standing at his side.

Harper emerged from a 40-minute meeting with the U.S. president in the Oval Office and expressed urgency in getting the Americans to detail their requirements under the looming law.

"We need more information, and we've been pressing for that for some time," Harper told a news conference in the east room of the White House.

Bush said he can't stop the move to tighter border controls, which was enacted by the U.S. Congress. "I would like this, to the extent the law allows, for there to be a lot of flexibility and simplicity. ... I fully understand the need for there to be simplicity in the documentation," Bush said.

The two leaders agreed to look at common standards for alternate travel documents, "preferably, as soon as possible," Harper said.

That topic was the only note of discord to emerge on a day when Bush and Harper discussed a broad range of issues. Later, the president said he was "impressed" by Harper's leadership style.

"I appreciate the fact that he doesn't mince words, he tells me what's on his mind and he does so in a real clear fashion," Bush said.

That's the kind of comment Harper was hoping to hear — the image of a hard-nosed prime minister standing up for Canadian interests.

But the overriding tone yesterday was one of chummy friendship as Bush repeatedly referred to Harper as "Steve" or "Stephen" and effusively painted Canada as a valued partner in defence and security.

"I'm proud to have allies like Steve who understand the stakes of the 21st century," Bush said.

Indeed, the two leaders joined to express serious worries about North Korea's nuclear ambitions and its missile tests this week.

"Missiles that are fired in the direction of the United States constitute a threat to Canada," said Bush.

"We're trying to make sure ... that the missile he (North Korean leader Kim Jong-il) fired wasn't headed for Canada. We don't know for a fact where it was headed," Bush said.

"He could be seemingly firing a missile at the United States (but) it wouldn't take much for it to get off-course," he said.

Despite North Korea's sabre rattling, Harper made clear that Ottawa would not reconsider the Liberal decision in 2005 to opt out of the controversial U.S.-led missile defence program. But he said he understood why it is a priority.

"I think it should be obvious ... why the United States and others would want to have a modern and flexible defence system against this kind of threat," he said.

For his part, Bush said he didn't raise the issue of Canada's participation in the missile defence program with Harper.

"I figured if he was interested, he would tell me," Bush said, conceding that the topic was a "particularly difficult political issue" in Canada.

Bush praised Canada for the arrests of 17 in the GTA area on terrorism charges, saying it shows "how safe Canada is."

People can "rest assured that Canada is on top of any plots," Bush said in a comment that could be aimed at Americans who see Ottawa as soft on security.

And Bush had kind words for Canada's mission in Afghanistan, where more than 2,000 troops are trying to dampen a surging insurgency in the Kandahar region.

"Their soldiers are doing fantastic work. ... They're making the country proud," Bush said.

Both Harper and Bush also expressed relief at the recently inked deal meant to end the softwood lumber dispute, a long-standing irritant between the two nations.

Later, over an hour-long lunch, their discussion touched on Iran, trade, energy, the Mexican election and the genocide in Darfur. Bush said he would like to see NATO involvement to bolster African Union troops now in the country. But this is a tricky topic for the Conservative government since Harper has declared that Canada has no troops to spare for a possible Darfur mission.

Canadian officials would not say if Harper raised the issue of Omar Khadr, the Canadian teen being held at Guantanamo Bay.

This just gets better and better - I mean, get a caption on this picture:

harper-cp-10378674.jpg

Bush can call me 'Steve': Harper

While his mother isn't a big fan of the moniker, Prime Minister Stephen Harper says he doesn't mind if the leader of Canada's biggest trading partner wants to call him "Steve."

He's no doubt ok dressing up like he wants him to as well, and saying "Harder! Faster!" on cue too.

Can we call Bush "john" then?

this is pretty funny.. bush really is an idiot.

i'm happy that steve is getting this message out though:

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has chided the U.S. government for its looming border restrictions, warning that if America becomes more isolated from its allies, "the terrorists will have won."

and i can only hope gw has the brains to hear it, register it, think about it, and do something about it.