Oakville Jazz fest.

c-towns

Not to much going on, but this looks super cool;

THE MASTERS OF GROOVE

Featuring RUEBEN WILSON, GRANT GREEN JR. & BERNARD PURDUE

Friday, August 11 @ 10:30pm Centennial Square, Oakville

check out a couple tunes here;

http://www.jazzateria.com/recordings.html

The Masters of Groove is one of the most exciting bands in contemporary jazz. Featuring two important figures in the history of jazz and R&B, organist Rueben Wilson, and drummer Bernard "Pretty" Purdue, alongside guitarist Grant Green Jr. (the son of Grant Green), the ensemble harkens back to the Soul Jazz of the 1960’s while progressing forward into the jazz/groove/jam band awakening.

RUEBEN WILSON

In the late 60's, organist Rueben Wilson began ascending to his current status as a "godfather" of acid-jazz with "On Broadway", the first in a string of albums for Blue Note Records. With these recordings, Wilson revealed a command of funk that helped redefine the soul jazz movement created by the likes of Jimmy Smith, Jimmy McGriff and Richard "Groove" Holmes. "I was impressed by the great players," Wilson said in an interview with Carlo Wolff for The Plain Dealer, but I thought the music could be well served by a pop feeling. I liked what drummers Bernard Purdie and Idris Muhammad were doing [Wilson has recorded with both drummers]. They were different from an Art Blakey or a Max Roach. Their appeal was to a younger crowd."

While some collectors believe his best work is represented on his five Blue Note releases, Wilson also laid down some trailblazing sides for the Groove Merchant and Chess/Cadet labels. During the '80s, "Got Get Your Own," the title track to his 1974 Cadet album, caught on in dance clubs in England, "I was in Europe with the Fatback Band, when I heard about it," recalls Wilson. "All of a sudden, the news people from the trades and all were interviewing me separately from the Fatback Band. "That's when I found out that I had this big record. "Got Get Your Own", now an acid jazz classic, the song was reworked by Wilson for Organ Donor, his 1998 release for Jazzateria label.

GRANT GREENE JR.

As the son of legendary jazz guitarist Grant Green (1931-1979), Grant Green Jr. was exposed to exceptional musicianship and superb guitar playing right from the start. Growing up in the Palmer Woods section of Detroit, Grant enjoyed a constant parade of jazz greats streaming through his living room and at the tender age of five, with his hands barely big enough to grasp the guitar, Grant played his first cords.

The New York Times wrote, "the apple didn't fall far from the tree," and on Grant Green Jr.'s upcoming jazzateria release, this may be the understatement of the year. Grant delivers a serving of heartfelt soul with the technical mastery he inherited from his father. The result is an inspiring collection of dynamic rhythms backed by a solid groove

Grant's dramatic guitar work is complemented by a stellar line-up of musicians that includes bass player Booker King, pianist Albert Menendez (who co-wrote a few of the selections), the great Brazilian saxophonist Leo Gendelman and special guest Cafe on percussion.

BERNARD “PRETTY†PURDUE

Drummers the world over are well aware of Bernard Purdie's extensive recording works. To list and comment on each album would be a massive project, so here are a couple of highlights. Recorded in 1967, Soul Drums (Date Records) was Purdie's first solo album. It stands as positive proof that most of Purdie's arsenal of beats and grooves were well established early in his career. One might be surprised to hear familiar grooves that became trademarks of later, more famous cuts.

No Purdie hit list would be complete without some Steely Dan albums. The Royal Scam (ABC) from 1976, brilliantly captured his groove abilities. However, unlike other Steely Dan Albums, the liner notes fail to list the drummers cut-by-cut. Instead, it just says, "Drums: Bernard Purdie and Rick Marrotta." But it sounds to me like Purdie plays on almost every cut. Certainly the title cut featured Purdie, as did "Kid Charlemagne," and "Haitian Divorce." Aja (ABC) from 1977, has one of Purdie's best performances ever. "Home a Last," with the half-time shuffle that every drummer has, at some point, probably tried to copy. Finally Goucho (MCA), from 1980, features "Babylon Sister's," which is the same ridiculous half-time shuffle groove, on which, by every night, Purdie should be granted a patent.

Over the last year The Masters of Groove have quickly established themselves as one of the premiere organ jazz bands working. "For little over an hour The Masters Of Groove locked into the kind of relentless instrumental funk that keeps a dance floor full" Boston Herald.

http://www.oakvillejazz.com/line_up.htm