Jambands.ca

Soul Jazz in Ottawa tonight?

bradm

In my opinion, yes. They play a good mix of covers (including Herbie Hancock and John Coltrane tunes) and originals, and play them really well. D-Mass, who spins before and between sets (and is also a member of the band I'm in, Inglewood Jack) lays down heavy funky and jazzy stuff (I've seen him play Donald Byrd one minute, and Michael Jackson the next), so even the set breaks are fun.

SJO usually does three sets, the first starting about 11pm. It's $5 at the door.

Aloha,

Brad

Your sense of timing is credibly peccable, CJ. I almost never get to Babylon on Thursdays, because it just goes too late for me to be productive on Fridays.

But this week, since I had to blow at least a day or two's worth of vacation to get to Toronto for GRAB, I decided to take the whole week off, so I could see SJO on Thursday, and Friday (which is now cancelled due to The Bayou closing).

So I probably won't be there next week; it was a minor logistical miracle that I made it there this week.

And chocolate's bad for me. :(

Aloha,

Brad

P.S. This week, SJO was amazing. The second set had a dark quality to it that I don't think I'd heard before, and they hooked up on some amazing grooves.

It was a damn good show. I think they finished some time after 2am. There wasn't a lot of jazz last night, but some heavy funk: "Shotgun" and "Flashlight" in particular; they also busted out some serious afro-beat, opening the first set with (the Fela Kuti song) "Water No Get Enemy".

It seemed a bit jammier than usual (SJO isn't really a "jam" band; they're more from the jazz school, where the head is stated, and solos are taken in turn by the players, as opposed to the more transformative jamming that, say, Phish or moe. are known for), and the second set had a kind of dark feeling to it that I hadn't heard before.

There's a small part of me that would seriously consider taking a 20% pay cut just so I could have Fridays off to see these guys every week.

Aloha,

Brad

Man brad, you were supposed to say it was a terrible show. Now I feel way worse. I was also supposed to meet some folks there and since I was asleep, didn't call or anything.

Oh well, we'll look at it as saving money for slowcoaster but I'll have to check these guys out.

Also, YearsAlongTheSea and slavetothegrooves, your avatars confuse me. Though there might not be any actual correlation between the two, they do share colors.

I kinda figured Mr Grey had something to do with it. I knew he did Steph's (Slavetothegoove) and it's from The Cheese and the art is very similar so it makes sense. I'd love to go to his little church for some art and music someday, that'd be neat.

Very impressed with the show last night. Ultimate funkyness, got down pretty hard. The guys are a lot jammier than I expected, but definately no complaints with that.

And yeah Alex Grey was doing live painting at the Cheese and Ratdog show in NYC too last weekend, a few friends were there, said it was incredible. Then again how could it not be.