Jambands.ca

Emery Weds Stoned 21-Year Old

\/\/illy

Tiffany Crawford, Canadian Press

Published: Monday, July 24, 2006

VANCOUVER (CP) - Marc Emery, Canada's so-called Prince of Pot, got married Sunday to a woman who apparently doesn't mind the idea that her new husband could spend large parts of their marriage in court or in jail as part of his mission to legalize marijuana.

"I will support him no matter what happens in any situation," Jodie Emery, 21, said shortly after the wedding. "I'm just so happy right now to be married to him."

She said she married Emery, who has been arrested 21 times, knowing full well he may spend many years in a U.S. jail.

Emery, 48, heads the B.C. Marijuana Party and publishes Cannabis Culture magazine. He is currently charged with selling marijuana seeds to Americans through the mail, conspiracy to manufacture pot and conspiracy to engage in money laundering.

He was arrested last July along with Michelle Rainey-Fenkarek and Greg Williams after police raided Emery's pot paraphernalia store in Vancouver following an 18-month investigation by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

The wedding ceremony took place under a white tent in the city's Queen Elizabeth Park where about 100 guests sat in suits and dresses continually passing around joints.

Blue sunny skies and a garden full of flowers were the backdrop for the nuptials.

"I can't imagine a more perfect day," said Emery.

After the ceremony the bride, wearing a long, white strapless wedding dress, lit up what she called a "wedding doobie."

The Emerys then shared, in front of a crowd of media, their first joint as husband and wife, inhaling the smoke and then kissing each other.

"I am so lucky to be married to such a young and beautiful woman," said Emery.

When asked how the two will cope if he gets extradited to the U.S., Emery said he was upbeat and positive.

"We don't talk about it really. I don't know what will happen to our relationship if that happens, but we just want to focus on getting out the message (of legalization)," he said.

The activist said he'll continue to challenge the Americans and their war on drugs.

Emery claims to be the first marijuana seed vendor to sell seeds directly over the Internet. His website, Marc Emery Direct, sold seeds to anyone in the world.

Over 10 years, Emery claims to have sold about $15 million dollars worth of seeds.

A date for the extradition hearing will be set Aug. 21 in B.C. Supreme Court.

In 2004, he spent 62 days in a Saskatoon jail for trafficking after passing a joint at a marijuana rally.

But it was here that he and his new bride grew closer because she transcribed his blogs from jail, he said.

"We grew closer and spent more time together and that was it," said Emery.

He has said his lawyers told him he has a 98-per-cent chance of being extradited.

Rene Boje, a Californian pot activist also fighting extradition to the U.S., attended Sunday's ceremony.

"That was just the loveliest wedding," said Boje, noting she hopes the couple will get to stay together in Canada.

"I think Marc is going to end up staying but I think there needs to be a lot more public support and pressure on the government."

© The Canadian Press 2006

This is the problem with Emery. He's a great pot advocate but a total creeper, sexually. I worked in the Marujuana seed industry for 7yrs and had many personal dealings with him and his associates through my work. Many stories were traded between me and his employees and him, himself. While the dude should not be extradidted to the US, his guilty of being a sleeze.

He used to have a 13yr old girlfirend and he was kicked out of Thiland for unknown reasons. Look anyone kicked out of Thialand had to be doing something very "Gary Glitteresque", as Thialnd is notorious for it's sex trade.

Bottom line the dude is a perv and didler but a brave pot activist.

And he's 48 or somehting and she's 21...holy Bill Wyman batman!

Edited by Guest

When I saw the title to this thread I thought it was referring to (Ottawa Senators goalie) Ray Emery, who is in a more appropriate age bracket to marry a 21-year-old girl. I was going to tell Willy to take it over to the sports forum!

Then, when I read it, "oh yeah, THAT Emery!".

The "prince of pot" - more like the "dirty old man of pot".

I can't help remember when he last married a stoned girl in her twenties; a one-time friend of mine from Ottawa in fact...

Hah! That's classic! I had the opportunity to spend some time with Kelly. (Platonically only.) She was part of a circle of friends I was hanging out with one time when I was taking a break out West. Nice young lady. A little odd but nice.