Jambands.ca

Brad Melhdau love

fluffhead77

His solo Live In Tokyo disc is amazing, if for no other reason than its 20-minute cover of Radiohead's "Paranoid Android".

I saw his trio at the Ottawa Jazz Festival a couple of years ago, and they mesmerized me the whole time.

If Brad Mehldau is playing melodica at the local petting zoo, go see him [over Galactic]. I believe that he is truly something special.

Aloha,

Brad

i didn't know that he was a junkie...well I guess he wouldn't be a Jazz great if he wasn't I guess...

I have to respectfully check you on this Fluffhead77. Being a part-time jazz educator, jazz player and alumni a a few Jazz programs, this notion that Jazz and heroin need each other, is a hurtful and destructive trend that Jazz (and rock for that matter) has been trying to for 50yrs.

Ever since Charlie Parker started banging heroin inthe late 40's and 50's, scores of talent jazz player have destroyed trying to "play like bird" by using smack.

This remains a problem in jazz today with talented players like Meldau using, and then inspiring other young players to use heroin, so the can "play like meldau". This has to stop.

The real truth is that Parker and Meldau are gifted geniuses that listened to a tonne of music, practiced like madmen and got educated as to what jazz is and the theory therof. The heroin came as a result of thier social circumstances, party life, pressures etc. The thing is, is that the heroin didn't make them play liek theydid. The hard work and careful listening did. THe heroin may have allowed them to relax more and play mor e in the moment, but it did not create thier art.

Heroin allows you to live in the momnet and shed the worries that hold you back. YIu can also achieve this feeling by cognative problem solving, philosophy, religion, sprituality, meditation, rigerous exercise etc.. There are many paths to the freedom of the soul...but heroin is the easiest and quickest. A spiritual short cut, if you will. But with a deadly price.

For the record there have been many Jazz greats that purposely denounced heroin and lived a clean life (as far heroin is concerned) to show the next generation, you don't need it.

Here are a few:

Dizzy Gillespi

Oscar Peterson

Art Blakey

Clifford Brown

Duke Ellington

Louis Armstrong

John Scofield

Bill Frissell

Herb Ellis

The truth is Meldau would be an even greater pianist withou heroin as his legacy would not be tainted, nor would his future not be in question as he would live a normal lifespan.

Ever notice that Meldau always has his head slumpoed down when he plays? That's not 'cuase he's trying to hear better, it's because your head feels heavy while on smack! Bill Evans used to do the same thing.

The worst part is that earlier generations like that of Charlie Parker did not really fully grasp the dangers of scag. For our generation everyone knows what it does, so there is no excuse.

How do I know all this? I used to play in a jazz combo with a pro double bassists that giged with Meldau in NYC and he said he was a mess offstage. real sad.

Let's hope Brad kicks.

P.S. Saying you have to use heroin to be a great jazz player is like saying you have to use steroids to be a great baseball player. Ludacris!

Edited by Guest

Love to Meldau. He's my favourite pianist besides Bill Evans.

Other comment: overuse on the bold.

Additional comment: Not to romanticize heroin, but are you saying Billy Holiday would be the immortal great she was without dope? Jerry without drugs?

The same arguement can be used for any drug. I have multiple friends and musician friends who just aren't the same because of acid. Should I therefore assume that it has no purpose? Should I belittle the drug because it has ruined multiple lives? Or changed them?

I speculate that the drugs definitely have played a role in making certain musicians who they are, for good or for bad. Do you think Miles Davis would have been the same person that put out such a vast and diverse body of music without coke and heroin? I personally don't think so. It made hime the introvert, the focused nutbar that was able to chase the melody, surf the sound, put himself in the middle of the whole thing, etc. How about Lenny Breau or Roy Buchanan? Let's not even get into the Beatles!

Musicians without habits: Kenny G and Winton Marsalis.

I just don't see how you can separate someone's path and their drug use and say they would be the same person without the path.

My thoughts...

Stephen.

Love to Meldau. He's my favourite pianist besides Bill Evans.

Other comment: overuse on the bold.

Additional comment: Not to romanticize heroin, but are you saying Billy Holiday would be the immortal great she was without dope? Jerry without drugs?

The same arguement can be used for any drug. I have multiple friends and musician friends who just aren't the same because of acid. Should I therefore assume that it has no purpose? Should I belittle the drug because it has ruined multiple lives? Or changed them?

I speculate that the drugs definitely have played a role in making certain musicians who they are, for good or for bad. Do you think Miles Davis would have been the same person that put out such a vast and diverse body of music without coke and heroin? I personally don't think so. It made hime the introvert, the focused nutbar that was able to chase the melody, surf the sound, put himself in the middle of the whole thing, etc. How about Lenny Breau or Roy Buchanan? Let's not even get into the Beatles!

Musicians without habits: Kenny G and Winton Marsalis.

I just don't see how you can separate someone's path and their drug use and say they would be the same person without the path.

My thoughts...

Stephen.

Steve yes I agree that drugs have always played a major role in music and have gone on to inspire soem of the greatest musical moments. However I am making a distinction between Heroin and all other drugs.

And yes I beleive that Billy Holiday and Jerry Garcia would have been great without the Heroin. Heroin is a shortcut.

I mena listen to Jerry's pre heroine era 65-74ish and there are some amazing moments. Also think of all the great music Jerry could have made if he had lived past 53! Also think of how much better the last years of the Dead would have been if his body was not so trashed from years of abuse and bad diet.

I really think that these artist with talent would have come to the same greatness without drugs, it would have just required more work, disciple and strength of character to do so. And we all know most musicians don't have those qualities..

Many fall vicitm to it but it does not create the art or the intelligence.

And my tirade was directed at no one, but the notion that ones needs drugs to be creative or great.

And don't get me wrong I myself have been known to indulge in many psychedelics while making music and it has enhanched things....but not heroin. Heroin is physically addictive and eventually robs you of you skills and talent much like too much coke.

Tip: stick to the drugs that are not physically addictive...

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...
I have tickets to see Brad Mehldau here in Seoul in September - I can't wait!!

So I went to this gig last night - it was incredible! A little less than two hours, but chock full of musical goodness. A few modern pop tunes ("Wonderwall", "Black Hole Sun", "Still Crazy After All These Years"), surrounded by some jazz standards and a bunch of originals.

Afterwards they had a meet-and-greet, so I got to meet the band and they signed my CD. We had a nice little chat, and I went on my merry way.

Groovy.