Jambands.ca

Final sale of The Dead recordings

\/\/illy

I hate Grateful Dead cover bands, they always fall flat, 'cause having seen my fair share of Grateful Dead shows I'm always comparing them to the "Real Thing" in my mind. Also GD ocver bands almost never get all the counterpoint hooks right in the music.

However the DSO is the one Dead cover band I actually enjoyed when I have seen them. I think it is becuase of thier attention to detail and profeciency.

Having said that, I agree with Bouche and Hux, and see absolutely no point in buysing or collecting thier live shows.

I mean thier bag is covering excatly, GD performances to the letter, so that being the case why wouldn't you just listen to the actual Grateful Dead show they are covering?! it is going to be superior for sure.

My vedict: Worth seeing live here and there, no point in listening to them at home.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate Grateful Dead cover bands, they always fall flat, 'cause having seen my fair share of Grateful Dead shows I'm always comparing them to the "Real Thing" in my mind. Also GD ocver bands almost never get all the counterpoint hooks right in the music.

Then again, for much of their career, neither did the Grateful Dead. :)

Perhaps so, but they get a pass as they wrote them and invented them inthe music.

Caveat Emptor: Dark_Starr I'm not knockin' Rose Garland (Your Band) as I have only seen you guys very briefly once, in NY state, so I can't make that call. I'm speaking to the leagions of Dead cover bands that never get it right.

All the best. :)

No problem, Chameleon! I didn't take your post as a knock on Rose Garland (or any other Dead cover band, for that matter), but I definitely know where you're coming from. While Grateful Dead music is open to at-the-moment interpretation, there are indeed certain definitive signposts that virtually define their respective songs. The pleasure in playing the music is being able to put your own stamp on it, while at the same time having the band absolutely nail, say, the extro to the jam in St. Stephen. Stuff like that always puts a smile on my face! :)

Having seen the Grateful Dead first in 1984 and touring off & on throughout the mid-eighties until 1993, I seriously miss the whole Grateful Dead family and good scene that always seemed to follow (Well, up until 1993 I guess). I embrace those who wish to play Grateful Dead music. Its all about the spirit of the music and the spirit of the Grateful Dead to me, not how close they get it to the original, or if they "nail it". It wasn't that way for me then, no reason for it to be now.

I could never, nor would I ever, want to recreate those 9 years but if some kind folks want to get up and play the music that was the sound track of most of my life, I'm all in.

And to address \/\/illy's original post, it's just the folks who handled the Dead's live concert recording series that won't be working with the band anymore. Rhino Records (affiliated with Warner) now own the exclusive rights to market the Grateful Dead's (and by extension, The Dead's) live concert archive. They'll pay a hefty yearly minimum plus any additional royalties to the band to retain marketing control of the Vault for the next 10 years. The band retains the right to have final say on what's released and how those releases are handled. David Lemieux has also been retained as Archivist by contract to oversee the Vault's contents, which have now been moved to the Warner compound in California.

The 4 remaining members are set to make more coin than they have since the Dead's heyday of the early nineties.

Here's the link to the story--> http://www.marinij.com/marin/ci_4136208

Edited by Guest

so why haven't they come through TO, Hamilton or Ottawa yet? I know they'd pack the joints.

I saw them twice, once at Higher Ground and a few years before at a seedy tavern in Syracuse. Great fucking times.

Althought I doubt they'd sell many CD's. Wasn't there talk of recreating the festival express using the DSO at one point? Is our resident Cowboy out of town or something? helllooooo!

so why haven't they come through TO, Hamilton or Ottawa yet? I know they'd pack the joints.

Didnt you just answer your own question as to why we wont see them in Canada?

I forgot about how seedy that bar was in Syracuse. That may have been the greatest performance DaveyBoy has ever pulled off.

Its amazing how big they have become since then. Good for them.