Jambands.ca

Dip! Dip! Dip!

Hux

So tonight we're gonna tackle one of my all time favs - Fondue Chinois (also called Fondue Bourguignon, or sometimes Beef Fondue) basically instead of dipping in cheese you dip thinly sliced meat (beef, chicken, seafood, etc) and veggies into a broth (oil, or just broth with lots of seasoning, garlic, ginger, whatever) ya know?

Usually you have dipping sauces for the meat and veggies, ones we've tried are raw egg yolk, peanut sauce, teriyaki, hotsauce, creamy garlic.

Veggies that aren't too dense don't take as long to cook, mind you it generally is one of those drawn out meals which is cool anyways. We like doing baby bok choy, green onion, broccoli, cauliflower.

Also a trick we discovered was to get cubes of cheese and wrap the thin sliced beef around the cube and then cook - mmmmmm...the cheese melts and doesn't leak.

Anyhow, anyone ever done this type of fondue and have any tips?

You'll notice Sugar Megs and I have aged considerably in the photo below - it's the booze.

c14.jpg

In my family, a fondue was always a big production dinner, done in the dining room (as opposed to the kitchen), with good wine, home-made garlic bread, high-quality meats (OK, and chopped up hot dogs :)), near-boiling oil, and dipping sauces. I've e-mailed my Mom to see if she can find, transcribe, and pass on the sauce recipes we used to use.

Aloha,

Brad

Like BradM we used to do the oil thing too. Its a scottish thing I think, just to make sure you get a whole dinners' worth of deep fried goodness.

It's also a skill-testing form of eating, as the pieces of meat often come untined from the forks, so you end up trying to spear them as they float around the oil, not unlike those guys that used to hurl spears at whales.

Aloha,

Brad

Here are my family's dipping sauce recipes:

TERIYAKI

1/2 c. soy sauce

1/4 c. white wine

2 t. white sugar

1/4 t. garlic powder (could probably use "real" garlic)

RED DEVIL

1/2 c. mayonnaise

1/4 c. catsup

1/2 t. Worcestershire sauce

1/4 t. soy sauce

1/4 t. Tabasco

1/4 t. chili powder

HERB SAUCE

1/2 c. butter

2 Tbsp. parsley

1 T. chives

1/4 t. dry mustard

1/4 t. onion powder

1/8 t. thyme

(This one was in the recipe book, but I'm not sure we ever used it.)

BASIL BUTTER

butter and basil

Just crush as much dried basil as you want and add to butter

Aloha,

Brad