Jambands.ca

RC: The Frontier Index @ Silver Dollar, Toronto

bONES

How was it cowboy?

Well, this was my first time seeing/hearing The Frontier Index live. I got down to the Silver Dollar Room at midnight and five minutes later TFI hit the stage. Unfortunately, the sound was not too good (very muffled vocals), but I thought their performance was solid!

The drummer (Mick Jackson) and guitar player (Corey Hernden) are really good. Both vocally and on their respective instruments. Great song writing from what I could tell.

I'm really looking forward to receiving the cd in the mail. I'm listening to the samples up on their myspace page again as I type this..good stuff!

Thank you so much jambands.ca for the kickdown!

Sometimes all it takes to get me out of the apartment is a spot on the guestlist. The cover was very reasonable ($6), yet had I not won the passes I likely wouldn't have gone to the show.

So..thank you AD for planting the seed in my head to go out and see these guys, and thanks for the prize pack!

I'll definately hit up their shows in the future :)

EDIT to add: I thought the bass player (Matt Francis) was BORING ! For most of the show he had his back to the crowd, and for the rest of the night he played with his hair. I say can him and find someone interested in being part of the band.

just getting my Simon Cowell on...

Edited by Guest

Excellent report, thank you cowboy.

I don't understand how the sound at the Dollar is supposed to go down. It's an awesome place, I've been seeing music there since before I was of age. But it's this big long room with the stage on one side, with the soundboard at side stage facing in, like where the monitor desk would be at a place that had a separate monitor mix. The only thing I can surmise is that the PA is in mono (most club PAs are set up in mono anyway) and the guy mixes for his side and figures the other side will be cool, but I have heard the sound suck there before, big time.

Glad to hear it was a good show otherwise, though.

but I have heard the sound suck there before, big time.

Although I know little about it, the whole notion of sound at a club show rattles my brain. I've seen the same band on the same equipment in the same venue with the same acoustics working with the same sound guy and one time the sound is spot on and another its absolutely shitty. And I wonder why.

And as I'm standing there thinking this is shitty (poor mix, muddy vocals whatever) I'm thinking isn't the sound person hearing the same thing I am. Do they think it's all right or, for some reason, is it just beyond their control to adjust it?

I've been at shows where the sound starts out fine and for whatever reason (boredom?) the sound person continues to push buttons until it's out of whack.

There are also times when I wonder why some of this stuff isn't picked up in the sound check.

Having said all that I also realize these folks are dealing with a number of issues - crowd size/multi-band line-ups/acoustic-electric shifts etc that would drive most of us nuts and they do a pretty damn fine job of it. A good sound person is absolutely worth their weight in gold.

My two cents--

I got there early so saw all three bands on the bill.The first band ( The assistants,associates something) were -well meh.Young unpolished, muffled vocals but their drummer was very good.The next band-The Sweetest Thing-were amazing.They had obviously brought a crew of fans-which filled the place up during their set.No matter how I feel about the music a whole room full of people dancing always makes me smile.The band themselves were very rehearsed ,totally tight with an infectious rythmn.The lead singer adopted some larger than life primadonna posturing-sometimes I just had to stop watching him-BUT-his voice warranted the attention.They were the sort of band that perfectly rehearses stops and starts,with very little improvisation or jam moments-that being said I truly enjoyed the razorsharp timing and energy.The Frontier Index-what to say?Truly incredible individual and group technical ability,energy and very well written songs.The harmonies between the three are joyous.On a side note-I am always astonished at drummers who sing.Thats like every part of your body doing something utterly different-and this drummer also sings beautifully.Beautifully might not seem to jive with such incredible straight ahead alt country-but thats the word I'm picking!! In response to Cowboy-I didnt find the vocals muffled but than I was sitting directly by the stage primarily.In regards to the bass player-yes he is not a showman.But I dont demand that from a musician.He played a solid groove-just audibly noticeable enough to punctuate the drive of the drums.From my sightline he was very intent on the drummers actions-and Id prefer a bassist paid attention to that rather than perfecting the right aimable,interested,grooving but steady bassist face.

GO SEE THE FRONTIER INDEX IF YOU CAN andwatch for the Sweetest Thing.Thanks for the passes!!!!