Jambands.ca

Tofino Waterless

AWeeJig

Water is a Non Renewable Resource! So use it wisely!

Very interesting. It reminds me of a related story of our world's use of water, specifically in Libya, where the world's largest engineering project is taking place. Here's an excerpt from habiba.org for a little background.

Labeled by the international press as the 8th Wonder of The World, the project launched in 1984 and built with the help of Korean firms includes 4000 km of pipelines, and two aqueducts of 1000 km. When completed it will bring five million cubic meters per day of water from desert aquifers to Libya's coastal cities. It will eventually increase the size of Libya's arable land by over 70 percent. The total cost of the huge project is expected to exceed $25 billion.

That being said, I've also herd that the water they are going after will only last 20 years. It's fossil water and irreplacable. So for about 20 years, Libya will be able to farm. After that, it's back to being a desert.

Some say the tunnels are only for military movement though, so go figure.

water issues have become one of the reasons why i grind my teeth :P

the libyan effort to pipe groundwater 100's of kms is one of many hare-brained schemes currently happenning, with the expected short-term gain/long-term disastrous effects.

saudi arabia has been farming for years in the desert using mile deep wells and (dead cheap locally produced) nitrogen fertilizer. this has lead to nitrite contamination of their groundwater, rendering it unpotable.

tankers and million litre "water bags" are being used to transport glacial fresh water from the north to the south.

A 7-minute shower uses more clean water (35 gallons) than 1.1 billion of the world’s people have access to in a week.

ok, i need to breathe now.

get a copy of "water Wars" by Vandana Shiva.

209_popup.gif

A 7-minute shower uses more clean water (35 gallons) than 1.1 billion of the world’s people have access to in a week.

I know this stuff is depressing as hell...but in an effort to remind ya that small steps count....shower with a friend

Dave & I have shared a morning shower for going on 16 years!!!! It's just a fantastic way to start a day!!!! And now with the added feel-good benefit of "conserving water"

Dave & I have shared a morning shower for going on 16 years!!!! It's just a fantastic way to start a day!!!! And now with the added feel-good benefit of "conserving water"

Is that an open-invitation to the rest of us to join you? I mean, I knew you guys were a friendly, outgoing couple and all...