Jambands.ca

Broken Social Scene to replace Massive Attack at V Fest

AD

Massive Attack couldn't get visas to enter the country in time so they've withdrawn. Broken Social Scene will be replacing them.

Massive Attack, the U.K. band billed as the pioneering force behind the rise of trip-hop music, has pulled out of this weekend's first-ever Virgin Music Festival at the Toronto islands.

The annoucement was made this morning. The band said it couldn't get visa documents in time to enter North America, concert promoters said.

The snag forced the band to cancel the first four dates on its North American tour, including Toronto, Montreal, Detroit and Chicago.

People who purchased tickets in the expectation of seeing Massive Attack can get a full refund at the point of purchase until noon on Sunday, organizers say.

"This was out of our control," said Rebecca Teal, a spokeswoman for promoters Emerge Entertainment.

She said Massive Attack will reschedule its cancelled stops at a later date.

Broken Social Scene will fill the time slot at 9:45 p.m. on Sunday, Teal said.

Concertgoers can visit the Star's special V Fest section for set times and the full lineup.

The addition of Broken Social Scene is a coup for the local outfit, which will probably be playing in front of the biggest crowd of its career.

"Obviously, it was a blow, but replacing Massive Attack with Broken Social Scene is pretty huge," Teal said. "They're a fantastic band."

Massive Attack has received acclaim for its hypnotic sound, which has been hailed as a fusion of hip-hop rhythms and soulful melodies. The band has been credited with helping to set the pace for the trip-hop movement in the 1990s.

Teal said that although Massive Attack had the headlining slot by going on last on Sunday, they weren't billed as the headlining act.

"The Strokes are arguably equally if not larger than Massive Attack, as are the Raconteurs," Teal said.

"I mean, Sunday is a huge day in itself. I think the Broken Social Scene crowd is pretty close to the Massive Attack crowd. That kind of helps."

Broken Social Scene headlined a two-day festival on Olympic Island this past June, which drew 10,000 in advance ticket sales.

Capacity on the Toronto islands will be limited to about 25,000 people a day. Ticket sales are "going about as predicted," Teal said, and they are expecting 20,000 people a day.

The Toronto International Film Festival is kicking off at the same time as the concert and should help draw more people and star power to the event, she said.

"I think it only helps us," Teal said. "A lot of the celebrities are coming to Virgin Festival," she added.

The weather should smile favourably on the V Fest this weekend, as sunny skies and temperatures expected to hit a high of 25C on Saturday and 17C on Sunday.

The festival will feature more than 35 bands, including Muse, the Raconteurs, Sam Roberts Band, the Flaming Lips, Wolfmother, the Dears and more, on two main stages.

Toronto is the first city outside the U.K. to host V Fest, which is one of British entrepreneur Richard Branson's many promotions.

Tickets are available at Ticketmaster and are $57.50 for a one-day pass and $104.50 for a weekend pass. Included in the price is the $7 ferry trip.

Performances begin just after the noon hour on both days.

Yeah that's a good substitution but really I mean we're talking about a relatively rare North American appearance for Massive Attack. I was never going to go because Steve Coleman is Saturday night at the jazz fest and the tent is all day saturday downtown guelph (Black Ox Orkestar, Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band, Hylozoists...). If I was going I'd consider not with the M Attack drop out. I mean it's understandable re: visas just a major bummer I'd say.